LE RELAIS DE PARIS OPENS

Owner Lilia Ladjelate from Marseilles, France opened her new restaurant Le Relais de Paris on October 3rd at 734 State Street, the long-time home of Ruby’s Cafe & Spirits Lounge. The eatery is the newest location in a string of Le Relais de Paris franchises around the world. General Manager Skye McGinnes tells me that they offer a simple menu of steak and fries (with some fish and salad selections). The bistro uses a secret recipe of 18 spices on their beef to give a distinctive flavor not available elsewhere. Hours are Tuesday – Saturday 5 p.m. to close. For more information call 963-6077.

22 Responses to LE RELAIS DE PARIS OPENS

1. Jerry says:

Wish them well. The menue is basicly just sliced steak, fries and a “special” sause they pour on it. Very limited options if you don’t want steak. I looked at their Mid town manhattan web site and all they serve is the steak and fries (plus a salad and desert)

One review of the SB restaurant on Urbanspoon and it’s by Skye McGinnes. Of course he thought it was great! he left out that he is the G.M.??

I’ll give it a shot.

• Bob L says:

Whoa! The manager did a public review and signed his own name!?! We may have a candidate for this year’s Darwin awards. :-)

• a p c says:

Oh no! He did it on yelp too!

• SL says:

Awesome that he didn’t even bother to post under a fake name!

I look forward to giving this place a try. A good steak frites is an enjoyable meal. It will be interesting to see if this concept will work in SB. I also look forward to the reviews from malnourished and perpetually angry vegetarians or worse yet vegans who will undoubtedly whine about how the “veg option” is the same small salad and instead of steak all you get is some cheese with french fries and yes you have to pay the same price. Same goes for the neanderthals and 5 years trapped in a fully grown bodies that are livid that they don’t stock ketchup for slathering on the fries and steak!

• Skye McGinnes says:

Thank you for your level headed comments! I’m now sure it was stupid on my part to comment on something I am involved in, but it IS new to me too. Anyway, I thought it better to be honest than deceptive (this is where I deserve the Darwin award!)
        There is a new menu coming out tomorrow (10/18) which will be much expanded AND have Vegetarian options! And to be sure we accommodate all ages we do have plenty of ketchup on hand.
        Lastly, please note that the Sauce only has about 18 spices, not 36. Thank you again for your thoughtful comments.
        -Skye

2. Jim says:

I ate at this restaurant twice so far. The food was FANTASTIC….This place was packed Friday and Saturday. Finally there is a good French restaurant in town. I give it 5 stars….

3. Seth says:

@SL I think I’m in love

@jim hope your not the owner finally wising up and posting under a fake name

4. sygyzy says:

When did having a simple menu, something you’re really good at, a bad thing? Steak frites is not a new concept and it can work well. If you want a veggie lasagna, don’t come here. If you want steak and fries, consider it.

• Lily says:

I agree, too many restaurants here have menu that read like a chain restaurant. It starts with appetizer, soup, little salad, big salad, proceed to sandwich, burger, entree, and finally end with dessert. I rather go to a place that specializes in one thing and they make it so well that you can’t possibly replicate the flavor at home. This is probably why street food taste so good. Each vendor specialize in one craft and does it better than anyone else.

5. Christopher Zerbe says:

This place is great. Only three weeks in and running like a well established restaurant. The food is amazing, just like Paris, and the bar is sophisticatedly stocked with many rare hard to find French delights such as absinthe and armagnac. This has instantly become a staple. One of the very best steaks in town and the best (bar none) fries – ever. Great stuff indeed.

6. Dr. G. says:

We went to Le Relais de Paris last weekend for a friend’s birthday. Skye, Andy (at the bar) and the staff were terrific – a good match for the outstanding food. We brought in a birthday cake and they managed to have the entire restaurant join in on the happy birthday song. The “simple menu” is a nice change from the paradox of choice, though we look forward to seeing the new menu and trying new foods as well. This is our new favorite place. We’ll be back tomorrow night and we wish Lily and Skye the best.

7. Ed says:

Walked by it early yesterday. It looks amazing inside. Its unrecognizable to the Old Rubys. Bar and decor look great. Can’t wait to try it out with the wife!

8. Charlotte says:

No menu on website!? Actually nothing on website but coming soon.

9. Charlotte says:

Umm…to start, put the menu on the website. Your sarcasm is so unnecessary David.

10. WhooKnows says:

“You can do almost anything with soup stock, it’s like a strong foundation. When you have the right foundation, everything tastes good.” . . . In my opinion, the food wasn’t that good at all. Hmmmmm. . .

Quote by Martin Yan