THE FRENCH TABLE OPENS

The French Table “gastropub and creperie” has opened at 129 E. Anapamu Street, in the former home of Elements. The restaurant, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, offers waffles, French toast, omelets, sweet crepes, savory crepes, salads, pasta, sandwiches, burgers, quiches, risotto, steaks, chicken and fish. Hours are Monday – Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.;  Friday – Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.; and Sunday 8:00 a.m.- 10:00 p.m. For more information call 882-0050 or visit thefrenchtablesb.com.

16 Responses to THE FRENCH TABLE OPENS

1. Jerry says:

Will definitly try it when back in town. Looks a little 1970′s “French” if you ask me. (menue) The word “le” in front of “English” words to sound French is so 1970′s “French” Gastropub?? Anyway, I’ll give it shot. Hope it’s good!

2. Scott says:

What a bizarre menu. Very unexciting for such a beautiful locale.

• Jerry says:

I agree. Was hoping for a real French Brasserie *gastropub. Lot’s of crepes and very basic menue.

• SL says:

There was a quote from the chef in one of the local papers that basically stated he had to dumb down the food as the Santa Barbara palate is not sophisticated for true French style cuisine. The SB market is more interested in burgers and “healthy” items not refined cuisine.

• Jerry says:

Big mistake on his part. This could be one of the best “foodie” towns in the Country if they would just let it and stop dumbing us down and opening one burger and Mexican and cheap pasta place after another.
        Seems as though everytime one of SB’s better restaurant locations come up it is taken by a chain or some second rate place with a boring menue.

Correct me if I am wrong.

• sygyzy says:

You have got to be kidding Jerry. SB is not a foodie town. If you compare it to Riverside or Bakersfield or Huntsville, AL, maybe. Compared to LA, Vegas, SF, Chicago, NY, DC, Philly, Portland … not a chance. Why is it the best performing restaurants in SB are Mexican joints like Super Rica and Los Arroyos. Don’t get me wrong, I think both places are excellent but they aren’t exactly fine dining. Save for a few places (ie Julienne) nobody’s taking risks or doing anything innovative here. Besides the Mexican, if you took any of the respective cuisines here (Japanese, Thai, Chinese, Indian, French, Californian, Steak, Seafood), it would not hold a candle to any of the cities I mentioned.

Why do you think “good” restaurants don’t last here and why chains take over? Because the people here speak with their wallets. They have money but no taste.

• Jerry says:

Maybe I’m just wishing??!! I still think their is hope!

• CR says:

Well put zygyzy. Most people around here only think they know what a good restaurant but don’t have a clue, hence they eat what they know which is tacos and burgers etc.

This directly influences the smart business owner(chains) that keep providing the majority with what they really want. Simple demand and supply.

Change the demand and guess what…. the supply changes. Pure rocket science

• Dospassos says:

Follow this link for insight on why Santa Barbara is not a foodie town :

• Lisa says:

Santa Barbara restaurants cater to tourists (most of whom are probably not foodies from foodie towns), who want to find the same safe food everywhere they travel.

3. lemonjelly says:

Not related to the French Table, but definitely related to more varied French food offerings – I’m a fan of the prix fixe dinners put on by Sly’s in Carp. The menu is changed every 3-4 weeks and usually focuses on different regions of France. So it’s not the typical beef bourguignon and creme brulee that’s come to define generic French food over here.
    Dishes from Brittany, Provence, French Alps are some that I’ve tried. The dinners are $35 for a first course, main, and dessert.

4. net says:

A friend invited me as their guest to their “soft opening” and we were impressed with the excellent food and attentive service. the owner was friendly, humble and welcoming. I sampled the boef bourguignon, creme brulee, crab cakes, a savory crepe & beets w/ greens and all were wonderful! I look forward to going back soon. Perhaps the owner has been misquoted in the press due to language barrier issues. I say give them a fair chance!

5. Susan says:

I had lunch here on Tuesday 10/16 with my 87 y/o father. We both ordered a salad….it took nearly 45 mins. Luckily, we weren’t in a hurry as some of the other business people having lunch. I ordered a glass of Sauvignon blanc…$9….and it was the cheapest wine BTG. Dad wanted a beer and ordered what was offered on the menu, very little choice, and all priced at around $8-9 per bottle. it was only after I went inside to use the bathroom that I passed the bar and noticed all the beers (much less expensive) on tap written on the chalkboard, but not mentioned on the menu…rrggh. When I asked them, they simply said, oh we haven’t put them on the menu yet….duh.
    Food was good, nothing extraordinary. Will have to try the other menu items, sandwiches, crepes and burgers all sounded, and looked good.
    They were very apologetic about the long wait and gave the explanation of more training needed in the kitchen..hmmmm. I’ll give them another shot….I just love this location for weekend breakfast and pine for the days when it was ‘The Bakery’…sure do miss those croissants!

6. Gerald Bostock says:

Interesting menu, to me, in that their lunch specialties are Italian and horrifying that their beef burger has blue cheese “aioli” AND smoked gouda. I adore cheese, but that sounds appalling. Any reviews of the burger? Glad I found out what speculoos spread is, it sounds delicious.

7. Mellie says:

Awesome customer service delivered by the owner. I have had lunch there twice and have enjoyed it very much.