MIMOSA CLOSES

Restaurant Mimosa, which moved to 714 State Street last November from their long-time home on De la Vina, closed their doors on Tuesday, October 9th. Here is a message to the public from owners Derrick and Chris Melton:

As heart breaking as this is to announce we are making our last call tonight for good. Our hands are tied and we have no other choice than to say Thank You and Good night! For those that are local we want to go out with a BANG so join us as tonight for that last call. Its a cash only night so if you do come, bring the green and a smile. We will be here until there are no more people to serve for that is what we live to do.

After the restaurant closed another message was posted:

We went out the way we had wanted to….with quite a BANG! for those that joined us last night we thank you from the bottoms of our hearts. The income is allowing us to pay our staff. The doors are officially closed after 29 1/2 years.
THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT!

In the last 4 years 714 State Street has been the home of several restaurants including Piranha, Matador, Chino’s Rock & Tacos and Mimosa.

11 Responses to MIMOSA CLOSES

1. Marie says:

Wow!!! Really???? If only I had more notice–perhaps I missed something, somewhere??? I have such fond memories of the De La Vina location. I’m 42 now, but I have family pictures of an event there back in 1990. I’m so sorry to say goodbye!

2. Lily says:

I actually wanted to try this place. It must be hard to run a restaurant in Santa Barbara, a place with small city population and big city rental rates.

3. Alex says:

Derrick and Chris worked so hard and it seems so unjust that they had to close. I thought their new location was a questionable choice but I did have a wonderful meal there and one of the best desserts I have had in SB. I hope they don’t give up on the business entirely. Hopefully they would consider reopening in another part of town when the time is right. Regardless, I wish Derrick and Chris “bon chance” in whatever they choose to pursue.

4. Charlotte says:

Heartbreaking…..The restaurant business can be cruel, especially these days. Best of luck to you both.

5. Justine says:

i miss Chino’s, personally. but to be fair, i’d only been to Mimosa once, at the dlv location, and was on a weird date, so my perceptions were no doubt colored by that. i do feel awful for them closing so soon after relocating.

6. Susie says:

How disappointing. I still have an Axxess Daily Deal that I purchased. I really enjoyed having Mimosa downtown and have eaten there many times and had wonderful food.

7. Chaz says:

Original ‘Mimosa’ founder Camille Schwartz (have known him since mid-70s at San Ysidro Ranch and then ‘Ireland’s’ and ‘Chanticleer’) once confided to my wife and me that he felt a little stifled that his regular crowd, being an older bunch, never wanted him to get too adventurous with his menu.

As a result, he had a longstanding, reliable following of “oldsters” at the DeLa Vina location.

I doubt that many of them were eager to venture into the lower State St. area. Also, while I liked the “new” Mimosa very much, I can see where the older crowd might have found its decor less warm and comfortable.

I wonder, then, if Derrick and Chris were unable to attract a regular (and necessary in mercurial SB) customer base in the higher rent district.

Sorry to see them close and wish them good fortune in any subsequent venture.

8. Winston says:

We had many a wonderful business lunch at the De La VIna location. Great food, very reasonable prices, courteous and pleasant staff. We missed them when they moved downtown and are sorry they had to call it quits. Great bread, too!

9. Tex says:

Susie:

Call Axxess and they will let you choose an equivalent substitute Daily Deal from their inventory. They are really good that way.

10. Yukari says:

I am so sorry to see this fine restaurant go. But I had a
    feeling this might happen when they relocated to State Street. I
    liked the De La Vina location as it was so cozy. The one on State
    Street just did not do the same. I did not like how the tables were
    set up downstairs. The upstairs space was nice but we had
    inconsistent service. Regardless, I am sorry that this lovely
    restaurant with fine food had to go…