ITSUKI OPENS

Itsuki restaurant has opened at 7127 Hollister Avenue (formerly Baja Fresh). The eatery has moved from their previous location at 4020 Calle Real which is now closed. Restaurant hours are Monday – Saturday 11 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. – 10 p.m. For more information call 968-1838. Thanks to reader Fay for the tip!

13 Responses to ITSUKI OPENS

1. Amanda says:

Yay! I need to find Lemonjelly’s reviews of this place to figure out what to order. I’m clueless at what’s good here.

2. lemonjelly says:

ohai! I’ll just list a couple favorites here.

The bento boxes are longtime favorites for filling and inexpensive eats. No culinary masterpieces, I ate them a lot in my student days.
    Itsuki shines best with its noodles. Cha siu ramen or udon is yummy and Itsuki is the only local place I know of that has tonkotsu ramen where the broth has a rich silky texture.
    The curry here is also good, although if your idea of curry is Indian or Thai, the Japanese style has a flavor that takes some getting used to. But if you like it, you really like it, and I like mine with the pork katsu on top.

That’s based on the Calle Real Itsuki. The new place looks bigger, maybe the menu will expand too. That would be awesome, especially if they brought on some izakaya.

• Glenn says:

I’m going Oppan Jelly Style too and will try the Tonkotsu! I’m curious how it will compare to the Saigon noodle house pho I frequent close by.

• SL says:

Itsuki is the only place I’ve been able to find tonkotsu ramen in SB. I found it hard to believe that they are the only game in town for this delicious soup. After some research I see it listed on the menu for Sushi Teri (downtown location only) as well as Edomasa. I can’t vouch for either of these as I haven’t tried them. Maybe someone can chime if they are worth eating.

• lemonjelly says:

I’ve browsed through my photos for ramen and see that I once had an opaque soup pork ramen at Edomasa in 2010. It was probably the tonkotsu, and my one note on it says that it had a lot of pepper added to it and I did not care for it much. Things may well have changed since then, but Itsuki remains my fav for noodles.

• Glenn says:

Just tried it, Wow! Thanks for the tip. I am a Tonkotsu convert now. I’ll have to try other stuff too. They were really struggling with a short staff today(she said people were out today) and they are not even answering their phone. But it was worth the wait.

• Lily says:

You might want to try Ahi’s ramen. Its not tonkotsu, but the broth is rich and satisfying. I had the Chashu ramen at Itsuki today and it was too salty. The noodle was also overcooked.

• Amanda says:

Thanks, lemonjelly! I went back to your website yesterday and checked your old posts about this place. So much to try now! NOM NOM NOM

3. Charlotte says:

I swing by for opening lunch service…from soup to nuts I was “wowed”. Lovely esthetic, spot on staff and the food was crazy good. Welcome to Goleta Itsuki! Welcome and Arigato! This place is going to be regularly packed.

4. Fay says:

We went Wed. too, service needed help, but our food was spot on.

5. SBTaste says:

I stopped by on wed and had the spicy niku Ramen, which was good but is not the thick broth of Tonkotsu. It was still good, but wish it had a hard boiled egg. The new item I noticed was the Okonomiyaki and wondering if anyone tried one of the different types?

6. Gerald Bostock says:

I’m crushed! (I rarely go to that end of Goleta.) I was just thinking of them a day or two ago. I first ate there 20, 25 years ago?! When did they open on Calle Real? Oh, I’m so sad they moved but happy for their success.
    Ah ha, from Chowhound in 2010: “it was then called Sato’s Kitchen.”