PEABODY’S UPDATE

I stumbled across an issue of The Montecito Journal from last May and read that Peabody’s at 1198 Coast Village Rd, which is currently closed for renovations, was purchased by cellular phone pioneer Craig McCaw. Rumor has it that the restaurant might be given a new name and serve vegetarian cuisine.

14 Responses to PEABODY’S UPDATE

1. Alisa says:

Is it April 1st?

2. Papa John says:

I used to enjoy taking my young son to Peadbody’s and sitting outside for a (sometimes) relaxing lunch. Not that I make it to Montecito all that often, but are there any other family-friendly restaurants on Coast Village Road?

• Bob L says:

The young man might enjoy Los Arroyos or the Montecito Cafe. I’m afraid nothing really compares to Peabody’s, and I’m really bummed to hear the veggie thing. They’ll have to invent a whole new clientele for that one. Certainly won’t get the trade guys and retired folks that used to be the mid-day core. What a bummer!

• Chaz says:

For a fun throwback to another time, try lunch at the San Ysidro Pharmacy at the corner of San Ysidro and East Valley.

• Glenn says:

I would drive down a few extra miles and take him to the Summerland Beach Cafe.

3. milo says:

Isn’t Panera the worst? What utter crap food they serve. And this is after I heard glowing reviews about the place from people all over.

4. Justine says:

Yes, I too will be sad if Peabody’s reopens as something quite different from what it is!

5. Christine! says:

I heard nothing about it being “veggie”, I did hear it will be “farm to table” with as much local produce as possible.

6. Kevin says:

Big tough meat-eaters sure do sound scared of some vegetables.

Let the man have his folly, and when it fails you can rush in to open another steak house, seafood restaurant, or burger joint in the location . The market is no doubt clamoring for your culinary innovations.

I have had meals at Peabody’s numerous times over the years. “Vitality” would not be the first word to come to mind.

7. Charlotte says:

I’m not against veggie places w/ some meat options. Natural Cafe, Goodland are great and so was The Good Earth (back in the 80′s and early 90′s). The point is that a restaurant catering to only vegetarians in that particular location that still has a Peabody’s clientele will be a challenge.

I have not heard of a veggie place closing due to the food though. Adama and Alchemy, both places I’ve tried have good stuff and are still in business. I think the Montecito crowd would like a veggie option and they closed for a reason so…but a Natural Cafe would be nice too.

9. Art says:

Everyone can just sit back and wait. This place has run into all kinds of health and building code problems And probably won’t open for a year

10. Charlotte says:

There’s always Montecito Cafe…. Always fabulous.