MCMASTERS CLOSES

Exactly 5 years to the month after they opened McMasters Steak and Hoagie at 910 Embarcadero Del Norte in Isla Vista has closed their doors. I stopped by and saw that the building has been completely vacated. Since I began tracking closures in 2005  the address has also been occupied by New York Buffalo Wings (2007), Jerusalem Garden Cafe (2007) and Blue Dolphin Cafe (2006). Thanks to reader Valerie for the tip!

6 Responses to MCMASTERS CLOSES

All good things come to an end. The owner was maybe the best I had EVER met. Good Burgers.

2. SL says:

Agreed, the owner was a super nice guy, super involved and provided great service. Anyone know what happened? They had a loyal following and seemed to be doing better than any of the other previous occupants of this space.

3. Amanda says:

I bought a cheesesteak from there last year and it was gross. I will always remember it as the Blue Dolphin though.

4. Frank says:

What a bummer! I felt like this place had a cult following but never really entered into the mainstream. As a displaced East Coaster, this place made the best cheesesteak I’ve had in California. Everything on their menu was great. I thought this place was better than Norton’s. Being a hole in the wall in IV though, most people in SB stayed away.

5. coh says:

Loved this place, sad to see it leave IV/SB. It’s going to leave a big hole to fill in my usual lunch rotation.

Just an FYI for others though, they posted on their Facebook page that they aren’t done making sandwiches, they’re actually moving the restaurant to Santa Paula. The new McMasters there is opening on September 24. At least I know where I’ll be eating next time I’m driving through there.

6. ori says:

best cheese steaks in cali :( mcmasters will never be forgotten