NIKKA FISH GRILL OPENS

Reader Mike tells me that Nikka Fish Grill is now open at 5722 Calle Real, Goleta, the former location of Jungle George Grill which closed last March.

8 Responses to NIKKA FISH GRILL OPENS

1. spank13 says:

Does anyone know if they are related to the Nikka Market across the street?

2. Margaret says:

Yes, they are and also Sushi Teri. Stopped in there Fri. and they were doing a great lunch business with many very happy diners. I bought some very fresh delicious halibut from their fish counter. Oyster tacos, $9.95 special for the day and looked so good, two tacos with house salad.
    Especially happy to have fresh fish available again in Goleta. I believe it may be the same location as Castagnolas and Sonny’s seafood markets in earlier Calle Real days, or at least very close. Decor looks nice, light and fresh. Lots of help and meals seemed to be comiong out pretty quickly. I wish them well.

3. Lily says:

I had a broiled tuna sandwich last week and it was delicious and fresh. The fries wasn’t anything to write home about, but the tuna was great.

4. Christine says:

Had the fried calamari and it was almost inedible. Rubbery strips done in tempura that wasn’t crispy. One strip was so rubbery I couldn’t bite thru it. The fries were poor as well. Gal at counter didn’t understand that the menu posted right above her head advertised that I could add a house salad for $2, she told me I must purchase the full price house salad for almost $5.

I chalked it all up to opening jitters and will go back again. I don’t understand why places here in town so frequently open with the staff clueless about the menu. Training, please!

5. Karen H says:

My friend and our two teenage daughters ate dinner here when they had only been open two days. We each had the Charbroiled Salmon with Mango Salsa, Italian Parsley salad, and Sweet Potato fries. We all agreed that it was yummy and we would tell all our neighbours and friends because we want this restaurant to be successful and stay in Goleta! The service was great and very friendly, and it was so nice to eat outside. Although we miss Sonny’s, we are happy this place has opened, and feel that it fills a need for our area. The fish counter looks great too! Please give it a try! :)

6. barbara ross says:

I really have enjoyed the food I’ve gotten at Nikka, both eat in and take out. They will even shuck oysters for you, but if you want them on the half shell, you need to bring your own cocktail sauce I think the clam chowder could use some work; it’s a bit on the rich side. They really fill the void left when Sonny’s closed – yes in the exact same location. Welcom Nikka Fish Market and Grill. The menu is so varied between fried and grilled that everyone would find something suitable for the pallete.

7. Charlotte says:

Had a spectacular lunch there today! I had the shrimp tacos, they were spot on, very fresh. My companion had fish & chips, which were crunchy, great flavor. The pieces of fish were a bit small for me (I prefer a big filet) but aside from that, no complaints. The spicy tuna burger looked great, that’s what I’m getting next time. The fish case looks amazing! I am so glad to finally have a proper fish shop in Goleta. The place was packed at lunch, and then a group of 20 wandered in and then the cash register/POS crashed! No problem! Nobody was turned away and the food was still cranking out without a hitch. Well done!

8. Margaret says:

After enjoying lovely fresh halibut from the fresh fish case, last week, very disappointing salads for take out. Very few ingredients appeared as listed on menu. Ahi on Seared Ahi Tuna Salad was good, all downhill after that. Less than 2 Tablespoons of inferior canned crab on Dungeness Salad, no apple pieces as listed and grapefuit slices had rind. Greens on both salads were just hard cores of romaine, no greenleaf, cucumbers, celery or croutons.
    Surely not what was described on menu.Tasteless House Dressing. I really hope they pull it together, it could be such a great asset to Calle Real, Goleta.