SNACK SHACK OPENS

The Snack Shack at 801 State St (formerly Rocks) has opened. Here is a message about it from owner Jim:

John,

Thanks for the email, I appreciate your support and including us in your blog.

The Snack Shack opened last Monday. Our concept is based on FRESH food and quality ingredients prepared daily and served quickly. All sandwiches are served on one bun and the menu is simple with the focus on the Santa Barbara Burger. Our custom crafted BBQ sauce and house labeled wine round out our mission to bring customers a truly “artisan” experience in a casual atmosphere. We have one of the largest outdoor patios on State Street, inside tables, stand up eating accommodations as well as a chalk board for the children.

Check us out on Facebook to view our menu.

We look forward to seeing everyone soon!

Snack Shack Crew

20 Responses to SNACK SHACK OPENS

1. k says:

i had high hopes for a new restaurant in this location. It has been a big loss for years now. I will certainly give the food a try .. however i feel that it’s a shame not to be able to have a glass of wine or a beer with your food.. especially on state street with so many outside tables. Will you be offering selections? I just feel that it could use the sophistication of a real “artisan” experience

2. k says:

sorry, scratch that.. i see now you offer wine

3. Lily says:

Would be nice to see a veggie burger on the menu….

4. Nancy says:

Just peeked at the menu, nothing spectacular, however I DO appreciate that you post calories of each item. Some of us truly appreciate making an informed dining decision!

5. Skaterspoint says:

Here’s the thing… A Santa Barbara burger requires (must) have avocado to be a real Santa Barbara burger!! I stopped by to ask if they have avocado on the burger, and the girl behind the counter said, sure.. avocado is $1 more and we can put it on the burger. That is NOT an Santa Barbara burger!! It is a burger that for a dollar more, can be called a Santa Barbara burger. Avocado is the ingredient that defines a true Santa Barbara burger. Next time you are in there, demand authenticity!! I feel like going to Kahuna, Silvergreens, and the new Craft.. and tell them to add it to there menu just in spite of this HUGE mistake!!

• Lily says:

Geez, angry much?

• Lily says:

Well, they only 4.50 for a burger and avocado is relatively expensive. Would you rather they charge 5.50 for a burger and not give people the discount if they ask to not have the avocado?

• James says:

I agree. Without avo it’s just a burger, definitely not a “Santa Barbara Burger”. The name just a marketing gimmick.

• Milo33454 says:

The entire restaurant is a gimmack. It’s the location that’s tempting for wanna-be restauranteurs. But come the day after Labor Day, that’s $15K a month rent (or more? I’m guessing), is gonna be a tough nut to meet selling bad burgers.

• Reality Check says:

Gotta love a guy who hates on a restaurant, but didn’t even eat there! You “stopped by” and talked to a cashier. Great review buddy! I happened to order the Santa Barbara Burger and I did ADD AVOCADO to it for a grand total of $5.50. Now, for $5.50 I had a 1/4 pound burger, with avocado, and it was delicious! I think this is a great addition to the SB dining scene and I will go back!

6. Sam says:

I wish them the best of luck. Can’t wait to try it out.

7. Jay says:

Geez what a bunch of negative crap, Lets All wish the owner the best of luck. Its a great idea for this location as a place to grab a burger on state lacks choice. Good Luck Snack Shack !!!

8. g says:

Visited yesterday. $1.50 for super tasty fries with optional house BBQ sauce. I, too, wish they had a veggie burger…

9. N says:

We tried this place recently. Their buns are fresh, but I wouldn’t consider them artisan. They taste very similar to regular hot dog buns that you can buy at the grocery store.

10. CB says:

I have eaten there twice and had the SB burger both times. Was good the first time (the day after they opened – honestly I wasn’t sure what to expect) and very good the second time (today – 7/30). I’m especially impressed considering they’ve only been open a couple of weeks. It’s close to my office, affordable but filling, has fast/friendly service and the ingredients all taste fresh. I also like that they give you several add-on options for free. Not sure how it will do in the long run, as I agree that it’s a bit gimmicky, but I hope it sticks around – and a veggie burger option would be nice.

11. J says:

I gave the place 3 tries and sad to say its nothing special! With kahuna grill right near by and Eureka burgers opening soon they hav a huge challenge ahead of them. The burger is underseasoned (plain tasting), the pulled pork is not too bad, and the fries are, eh, typical fries! I do wish this place the best but they might want to rethink revamping the menu to meet with the standards of state st food! A veggie buger will get u ALOT more buisness too! And only one beer on tap, Pacifico, may want a few more better selections. Good luck and I hope they improve the food!

12. pjt says:

The ahi sandwich was very expensive relative to the cost for the other sandwiches. The “hot dog” bun it came in was nothing special and I would not call it “artisan”. The asian slaw on the sandwich was tasty but for $12…too expensive for this place (habit’s ahi sandwich is more substantial and significantly less than $12 and the atmosphere is about the same).