- Mike on THE DRUNKEN CRAB TO OPEN DOWNTOWN
- Ted on RUMOR MACHINE
- Gerald Bostock on THE DRUNKEN CRAB TO OPEN DOWNTOWN
- D Morrison on TAKENOYA CLOSES
- Mike on THE DRUNKEN CRAB TO OPEN DOWNTOWN
- Diana on SANTA YNEZ BURRITO COMING TO ISLA VISTA
- Ted on SANTA YNEZ BURRITO COMING TO ISLA VISTA
- Justine on MAC’S FISH & CHIP SHOP HOLIDAY APPEAL
- Blush - Seasonal Californian cuisine and profound signature cocktails in a modern setting. Available for private parties.
- Bistro Eleven Eleven - A stylish restaurant located in the Hotel Mar Monte that serves contemporary American cuisine with California flair.
- Ca' Dario is a local favorite Italian restaurant that wins "Best Of" awards year after year.
- Coast Restaurant & Bar - Savory, accessible comfort food reflecting Santa Barbara's seaside access.
- Eladio's - Offering California Casual Comfort food for lunch and dinner with a panoramic view of the waterfront.
- EOS Lounge - A contemporary cocktail lounge and nightclub with an exotic atmosphere.
- Omni Catering is a unique, full-service catering and event production company that specializes in custom event creation.
- Pizza Guru - Traditional and eccentric gourmet pizzas, salads, panini & pastas. Local sources, organic goodness.
- Pizza Mizza - Much More than Great Pizza...we offer Santa Barbara's Best Gourmet Pizzas
- Pure Joy Catering offers the entire package in full service special event and wedding catering.
- Silvergreens - Making our food as healthy as possible without compromising taste. Eat Smart...Live Well.
- Sly's Steaks, Seafood & Cocktails has earned a reputation for high quality foods with a vintage flair using the best of local and in-season ingredients.
- The Palace Grill - Features authentic Louisiana specialties such as Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffée and more.
- The Marquee - Classic elegance located in the newly restored Granada Theatre
- The Savoy - A hybrid restaurant/lounge/concert hall and nightclub at 409 State Street
- Whole Foods Market - The premier location for organic produce and meats, local wines, specialty cheeses and more.
Monthly Archives: May 2012
I am receiving reports that there is a “closed permanently” sign on the window at Baja Fresh 7127 Hollister Ave in Goleta. The Restaurant Guy lives right near Baja Fresh, and, being a huge taco fan, eats at this restaurant … Continue reading
The Bennett family, owners of Brophy Bros. restaurant, have opened “On The Alley” at 117 Harbor Way, the former home of Minnow Café. I previously referred to this business as “Ty’s Café” which was the intended name at one time. … Continue reading
Reader Laura tells me that C’est Cheese at 825 Santa Barbara St. will be expanding into a neighboring business, Thrasher Books, by October 1st.
This suggestion from reader Mike Hey John, You want a Big Mac for a dollar any day of the week? Just order a McDouble, no ketchup or mustard, add shredded lettuce and mac sauce. A Big Mac for a buck, … Continue reading
Petrini’s (14 W. Calle Laureles, 5711 Calle Real) now has on-line ordering and delivery. For more information visit petrinis.com. Thanks to reader Linda for the tip.
Reader Linda tells me that the Chumash have purchased the Hadsten House and Restaurant in Solvang.
George Merino, GM at The Chase Restaurant in downtown Santa Barbara, is opening a new restaurant named Uptown Lounge at 3126 State St., the former home of Don’s Cocktails. Thanks to readers Tony and Jeramy for the tip.
iGrill Korean BBQ will be coming soon to 3132 State St., the former home of Jade. I spoke with owner Amy Ding and was told that she hopes to open the restaurant in about 3 weeks. For more information visit … Continue reading
While traveling through San Francisco airport today, on my way back to SB from a visit to Oregon, I noticed that, just past the extensive security screening all passengers are subjected to, there is a restaurant with knives on every … Continue reading
This just in from reader Bill: 3132 State Street (former home of Jade) now has signs for Korean BBQ – Bill
I am in Eugene, Oregon (where I went to college) for the weekend attending a surprise birthday party. I noticed that drive-up coffee stands are everywhere. Perhaps there are far more here than in SB because you don’t have to … Continue reading
Reader Tim tells me that Ty’s Cafe has opened at 9 Breakwater at the Harbor, the former home of Minnow Cafe. They are open. We poked our heads in there the day before yesterday. They had opened the evening before on … Continue reading
If you have a suggestion please leave a message in the blog. Hi John, I was wondering if you have tried the new Sunday brunch at Miro and how that compares to the brunch at the Four Seasons [Biltmore]. Thanks, … Continue reading
Last month I posted a story about Red Barn Steak House in Santa Ynez and how it was purchased by the Nichols brothers. This week I received messages from readers Kris and Sunday that indicate the eatery will become the … Continue reading
As mentioned in an earlier post I drove to Kanarraville, Utah last Sunday to watch the solar eclipse from a mathematically-perfect view point. A reader just sent me a video link to KSL News in Salt Lake City that includes … Continue reading
If you have a suggestion please leave a message in the blog. John: Appreciate the restaurant information you provide in your column in the Daily Sound. I know a restaurateur who is interested in relocating to SB. He needs about … Continue reading
This just in from Santa Barbara Ice & Propane owner Erick Crocker: Hi John, My name is Erick. I recently read one of the postings on your site and I wanted to respond. I am responding to “Beer Bummer” and … Continue reading
In your 2012 Verizon yellow pages you may have noticed that some restaurants try harder than others to get your attention. Some restaurants list just a name and phone number. Others have 1/8 page, 1/4 page, 1/2 page and 3/4 … Continue reading
Last Sunday I drove to a field 1/4 mile south of the city of Kanarraville, Utah (near St. George) to have a mathematically perfect view of the annular eclipse (well, almost perfect – the center line was about 200 yards … Continue reading
This just in from Denise Allec, representative of Peabody’s Bar & Grill at 1198 Coast Village Rd: (Montecito, CA) Peabody’s Bar & Grill, 1198 Coast Village Road, is changing hands and will be closed temporarily for repairs and renovations. “We … Continue reading
I called Emilio’s restaurant today and their voice mail, likely recorded at the end of April, says that the restaurant will be closed for 3 weeks for a “kitchen remodel and change of ownership.”
Reader Chris tells me that Mel’s Lounge now serves food: John, I just had a delicious bowl of pozole (red, chicken) today at Mel’s lounge at 209 W. Carrillo St. I was actually going to the Cuernavaca, but after parking … Continue reading
The Santa Barbara Downtown Organization will host the 2012 Downtown Art & Wine Tour on Thursday, May 24th from 5:30-9:30pm. Participants will enjoy a self guided tour of downtown venues prepared with a logo wine glass in hand for tasting … Continue reading
Santa Barbara’s chefs, restaurants, and wineries will gather for Share Our Strength’s culinary benefit “Taste of the Nation.” Taste of the Nation Santa Barbara will raise funds needed to support Share Our Strength’s efforts to end childhood hunger in Santa … Continue reading
Presto Pasta, which just opened a new location at 2830 De La Vina St, plans to close their restaurant at 827 E. Montecito St. next week. Details to follow.
Reader Glen (not reader Glenn) tells me that Fresh & Easy market, coming to 336 N. Milpas St., is slated to open 6/13/2012.
I am sad to report that Bitterman’s Deli at 5 W. Canon Perdido has closed. On the bright side, I am happy to report that Blue Owl (currently open late night at Zen Yai) will be taking over the space … Continue reading
I am told that Kobachi in El Mercado Plaza (4141 State St.), which closed last January, might reopen June 7th.
San Marcos High School will be hosting a series of gourmet food truck festivals to run at dinner hours on the “Fourth Thursday” of the month. Different styles of food will be available from each truck: French fusion, Spanish/Polynesian Tiki … Continue reading