RUMOR MACHINE

I was doing my spring cleaning this morning and noticed that the Rumor Machine had become quite dirty. When I pulled it away from the wall so I could better access it for damp-cloth dusting I noticed that it was unplugged and probably had been for sometime. As soon as I put the old, frayed power cord back into the wall the Rumor Machine sprang to life and popped out a piece of paper that read: “Habit Burger is coming to IV. Across the street from Freebirds.” As always, this rumor might be completely false or a brilliant forecast of future events. Your call.

25 Responses to RUMOR MACHINE

I can’t think of a spot that is not already occupied, on the IV deli mart side maybe?

2. Jen C. says:

I was in IV on saturday, looked like the surf shop was closed

• SL says:

I’m pretty sure the Surf Shop location is slated to become a bank. I’m thinking The Habit will be going into the new fancy pants development that is in the works?

3. stdarkstar says:

The Habit is to expensive for IV!!

No need for a chain burger after all the king is dead.

I prefer a burger from Javans!

McMasters Steak and Hoagie make a mean burger too.

5. Matt M says:

Dogtown is going out and the Habit is going in at that location. Looks like hot dogs in IV may not be a good fit in that model. It’s a small location with limited seating. I think 3 maybe 4 2-tops and the community seating outside that is shared with Subway and Starbucks. I also heard no chili and no kids menu in IV.

• Chris says:

I wish the Rumor Machine could confirm that. I’d hate to hear Dogtown leaving, unless they can move downtown, then I’m even happier.

6. Charlotte says:

I really wanted to love Dogtown (fabulous name!) but, the chili dog was a flop for me. Mainly because the chili was blah and the thought of eating a hotdog without chili, cheese and onions is out of the question. I’m surprised it isn’t slammed all the time though. I guess hot dogs aren’t popular with the young anymore.

• Glenn says:

Dogtown is not bad, seems like they just use the Aidells(?) flavored dogs you can get at the supermarket but hard to compete with the Costco dog deal. That is a small space for a Habit but I guess they could make it work?

7. Charlotte says:

Glenn, you are right! Dogtown’s dogs were just grocery store tasting. They lacked that snap you get with a natural casing. I prefer Nathan’s over any other brand in this country. So that and the chili was not happening for me. I really miss Cupid’s! I hear really good things about Road Dogs though! You just have to find their cart!? And I don’t tweet so… Oh well, maybe someday!

Road Dogs was pretty tasty when I tried it, toppings were good, be interested on your opinion. They are also on facebook as roaddogsinc When you click on the twitter link it looks like you don’t actually have to have a twitter account to see their tweets(or facebook posts for that matter). Cupid’s was a nice place to take the family(never in this guide). John is just too solvang/buellton shy unless its a big name place, maybe we’ll wear him down some day… :)

9. Charlotte says:

I think Cupid’s is gone, entirely. The Valencia location is gone too. Waaa! Thanks for the Road Dogs lead. U rock Glenn!

10. Charlotte says:

Glenn, my Road Dogs favorite, believe it or not, was the Mac & cheese dog…. Totally sick (one would assume) total genius though! highly recommended if extremely hungry!

11. SL says:

Good hot dogs don’t exist in SB and are pretty rare to begin with in CA. You’re best bet for a tasty dog is buy a package of the NATURAL CASING Nathan’s dogs you can find at some stores (not to be confused with the skinless type the carry at most places) and griddle/grill/boil/etc them up at home. Boar’s Head also makes a tasty real casing dog you can find at many places. Oddly the Ralph’s store brand that they package themselves in-store is natural casing and quite good, just make sure you get the right one. Place them in a fresh steamed bun and top as you see fit (except NO KETCHUP, that is a strict rule, it doesn’t belong anywhere near a hot dog!)

12. Charlotte says:

As I was telling Glenn…Nathan’s (natural casings) snap!! Only choice for me. Since Euro. Deli is closed and can’t get my hands on a proper weiner,( you know what I mean) I find Nathan’s are the best. Boar’s Head as runner up (a bit too salty) I prefer chili, cheese and onions, or saurkraut and spicy German mustard on my dogs. I agree with what you said about ketchup as well, I’ve never let my kids put ketchup on their hot dogs…they’ve given up trying! And I’ve gotten plenty of s*** for it too from other “grown ups”. The “what do you have a problem with ketchup debate” don’t get me started!

I must have liked ketchup at one time on a dog as a kid but now I only use it for fries and burgers. I think one of the kids likes ketchup still. I think I used to put it on scrambled eggs as a kid too, now thinking about that just grosses me out. I usually go hebrew national or anything else like that e.g. Nathans that is not “mechanically separated” (think centrifuge!). I’ll look into the casing thing. Do the Aidell’s have the casing thing you are talking about? They usually go good with eggs in the morning.
    Yeah Cupid’s has been gone for maybe a year I think. Road Dogs Sweet Carolina was chili good if I remember.

By sheer coincidence I went to the place that went into where Cupid’s used to be today, California Tacos. Was pretty good authentic mexican food. Place a bit small but the food was good.

15. Charlotte says:

I think the only way to actually make $$ here with the inflated rental costs, is to hit the road with your dog dreams! Like Road Dogs, Surf Dogs and the many independent hot dog cart vendors out there! I mean really how much can you charge for a hot dog? Even with cool names and toppings? You have to sell a lot of dogs to pay your rent! I hate to say it but Cotco really f***** things up for the independent hot dog slingers out here in Goleta! Now DogTown has called a day! The hotdog vendor outside Home Depot saw the writing on the wall a long time ago and left! Now everyone out there EXPECTS to only pay $2.00 for a gigantic (plain) hotdog and soda w/ refill option!! Without realizing that Costco sells millions of hotdogs everyday chain wide, therefore they can be so cheap!! Big volume, big volume contracts with the dog & bun perveyors ( can’t say who, may be edited) blah, blah, blah… Meanwhile the little guy with a big dream, gets the shaft! Out here in Goleta the Goodland anyway. (The Hotdog wasteland)

Well said. People will go for the cheapest food. Just finished watching Food Inc on netflix, mind blowing. The movie blames the fast food industry for all the ills of the food industry, it is an interesting movie.

17. Charlotte says:

Yeah, I saw it with my kids ( I highly recommend this movie for kids over the age of 7 ). The Omnivore’s Dilemma and Fast Food Nation are good books. Sums it sell up really! It’s this and similar other issues that have turned this country upside down! Americans want it all and they want it now and they want it cheap! No matter what the consequences are! Bubus Americanus.

We can’t criticize or we might be sued! Amazing. So do regular stores have “grass fed” beef etc or maybe whole foods does? I have to start looking into buying healthier meat, is it called “organic” meat or maybe meat w/o hormones?

19. Charlotte says:

Grass fed beef is very expensive and gamey. Unfortunately my American palate is used to corn fed beef. Try to buy local beef if poss. A good butcher knows where his/her product comes from and sometimes, knows how it was raised. Try Country Meat Market, Lazy Acres or Whole Foods. Goleta ( Old Town) once had a brilliant grocery store (all local and organic). I want to say it was called Hopenhagen?? My mom shopped there in the 80′s. All the meat and poultry was from ranchers in Santa Maria! I think it’s important to know where your food comes from….and a hamburger that came from Mexico, U.S., Canada, ???( It’s law now state that little fact!) is pretty scary! That’s a lot of ????. So much for processed meat, fast food and restaurants! It’s not always fun being mindful.

I drove by Dogtown today and it looked open so who knows what is happening.

And I drove by Dogtown today and its closed with a “The Habit coming soon” sign on it.