SCOLARI’S TO CLOSE

News all over town last weekend is that Scolari’s at 222 N. Milpas St. plans to close. I received a tip that employees were given a 60 day notice but have not confirmed that.

8 Responses to SCOLARI’S TO CLOSE

1. lemonjelly says:

Maybe the Riveria folk went to TJ’s?
    A pity about Scolari’s closing, I don’t see Fresh and Easy being able to sufficiently take its place for the variety Scolari’s had, then again Santa Cruz Market is not far away either.

• Bob says:

I think you mean Chapala Market.

It’s definitely sad for the people who worked there, but as a Milpas area resident for much of the last 15 years, I avoided Scolari’s at all costs. Always took forever to get through the line and too many screeching rugrats running around. Between TJ’s and Tri-County I can cover most of our necessities. I don’t think Scolari’s missed my business though, and that store just had to have been profitable. It is nearly always slammed. I’m hoping a Ralph’s will slide in there.

2. SL says:

No I don’t. I’m wondering where they do if they live up in that area. You can’t live off Trader Joe’s alone and it seems like it’s a bit of a mission to get to a decent grocery store from up there. The view sure is nice, but it must be a PITA to get a nice steak to grill up while enjoying the view from your deck.

• Ethan says:

I disagree. With very, very, very few exceptions, I live off Trader Joe’s alone. It is tasty, healthy, and affordable, and my only “complaint” is that they don’t sell paper towels.

• leviticus11 says:

I agree with Ethan. Trader Joe’s is great. Every time there’s something I’m refraining from buying there, thinking it’ll be cheaper at Ralph’s or something, I’m proven wrong. Lowest prices on butter, EGGS, ground beef, coconut oil, snacks, liquor… Man. Every time we shop there we end up going “Can we write them a letter or send a card? Those guys are great.”

3. Andrea says:

Yes always busy in their but this store had great customer service unlike Ralph’s or Vons was able to find what i was looking for and got great assistance up front to my car. All the employees were very friendly i will dearly miss their service.

4. Leonard says:

I heard that the new market taking over Scalaris is called Fresh Market Inc…. a chain from the East/Midwest. I think it is their first store in the West.