TY’S CAFE UPDATE

I received this message and photo from reader Erik about Ty’s Cafe which will be replacing Minnow Cafe at the Harbor.

This posted in the harbor (in front of the old Minnow Cafe) for awhile now.  Love your column in the Daily Sound, and the website RE restaurants in the area!
Erik

13 Responses to TY’S CAFE UPDATE

1. dmo says:

I don’t know about you, but I wish he had kept the old name or a derivation of, and stopped the self-aggrandizing… enough already. He’s not even a local…
    Many of us are going to miss that place dearly… another piece of original Santa Barbara, whitewashed.
    But, at least it’s not going to be demolished to build 3 1/2 story work/live lofts!

2. Christine says:

looks like a place in another city….certainly not the harbor in SB. How many chopped salads will an urchin diver eat?

3. SBtaste says:

Miss their burgers…

4. Sandi says:

Is the Bennett family related to Ty Warner????

5. Christine says:

Whirl- I have a hard time believeing that anyone associated with Brophys would ask for a place that seats 4.

This article confirms they bought it. http://www.independent.com/news/2011/may/10/brophy-bros-where-all-santa-barbara-goes/ I have a feeling they want to up the neighborhood as Minnow was more for the “common man” and was competition too and let’s them keep up their prices at Brophys. I did not care for Minnow’s food myself but I could see that it could have been a cheaper alternative to other places.

7. Spencer says:

What comes down to the success of this new restaurant will be 1. the price and 2. the management.
    While the Minnow had great pricing and a varied menu, the management was awful! Cashiers/servers rotated out often (quitting or fired? I have no idea), the manager/owner never smiled once in 10 years. When the passion is gone, so is what makes it worth eating there.

As long as this place has tasty food (owned by Brophy’s, I doubt it will be bad) and a price point for the walking traffic, it’s a welcome addition to the harbor.

8. Christine says:

when the folks who work on the boats have no where else to eat, then what?