- Bob on SANTA YNEZ BURRITO COMING TO ISLA VISTA
- Gerald Bostock on THE GOBBLE SONG
- Gerald Bostock on THE GOBBLE SONG
- Quiet Dog on KOGILICIOUS CLOSES
- Ted on SANTA YNEZ BURRITO COMING TO ISLA VISTA
- Mike on THE DRUNKEN CRAB TO OPEN DOWNTOWN
- Ted on RUMOR MACHINE
- Gerald Bostock on THE DRUNKEN CRAB TO OPEN DOWNTOWN
- Blush - Seasonal Californian cuisine and profound signature cocktails in a modern setting. Available for private parties.
- Bistro Eleven Eleven - A stylish restaurant located in the Hotel Mar Monte that serves contemporary American cuisine with California flair.
- Ca' Dario is a local favorite Italian restaurant that wins "Best Of" awards year after year.
- Coast Restaurant & Bar - Savory, accessible comfort food reflecting Santa Barbara's seaside access.
- Eladio's - Offering California Casual Comfort food for lunch and dinner with a panoramic view of the waterfront.
- EOS Lounge - A contemporary cocktail lounge and nightclub with an exotic atmosphere.
- Omni Catering is a unique, full-service catering and event production company that specializes in custom event creation.
- Pizza Guru - Traditional and eccentric gourmet pizzas, salads, panini & pastas. Local sources, organic goodness.
- Pizza Mizza - Much More than Great Pizza...we offer Santa Barbara's Best Gourmet Pizzas
- Pure Joy Catering offers the entire package in full service special event and wedding catering.
- Silvergreens - Making our food as healthy as possible without compromising taste. Eat Smart...Live Well.
- Sly's Steaks, Seafood & Cocktails has earned a reputation for high quality foods with a vintage flair using the best of local and in-season ingredients.
- The Palace Grill - Features authentic Louisiana specialties such as Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffée and more.
- The Marquee - Classic elegance located in the newly restored Granada Theatre
- The Savoy - A hybrid restaurant/lounge/concert hall and nightclub at 409 State Street
- Whole Foods Market - The premier location for organic produce and meats, local wines, specialty cheeses and more.
Monthly Archives: April 2012
Arlington Tavern has opened at 21 W. Victoria St (formerly Epiphany). Here is a message about it from owner Ron True: Hi John, The opening of Arlington Tavern is a dream come true and couldn’t be in a better place. … Continue reading
Emilio’s restaurant at 324 W. Cabrillo Blvd is renovating their kitchen and will be closed for 2 weeks.
I was doing my spring cleaning this morning and noticed that the Rumor Machine had become quite dirty. When I pulled it away from the wall so I could better access it for damp-cloth dusting I noticed that it was … Continue reading
If you have a suggestion please leave a message in the blog. Hi John! Can you please tell my husband and me why restaurants in Santa Barbara do not offer a sensibly priced wine by the glass? The last place … Continue reading
This just in from Silvergreens (791 Chapala St & 900 Embarcadero Del Mar) Hi John, I hope all is well with you! I have a few updates that we wanted to share with you and your readers. Silvergreens Catering has … Continue reading
This just in from Carl’s Jr.: Hi John, I wanted to touch base to let you know about “Stars for Heroes,” a special partnership between your local area Carl’s Jr. and military charities, including The Mission Continues and USA Cares. … Continue reading
I received this message today from Richard Payatt, owner of several local Taco Bell restaurants: John, This is to let our wonderful and faithful customers know that after forty years at the same location, Taco Bell at 2912 De La … Continue reading
This just in from reader Scott: John, Disappointing news for local beer drinkers. Santa Barbara Ice on Milpas Street is no longer selling kegs of beer and will not refund customers left with empty keg shells that were purchased with … Continue reading
Today I added the menu for Nardonne’s La Famiglia Pizzeria to the restaurant guide. I also added photos of La Arcada Bistro.
After intense concentration and a wave of my hand over the all-knowing Crystal Ball, my eatery oracle has revealed a list of locations appearing in your future: Arlington Tavern 21 W. Victoria St (formerly Epiphany) Ca Dario Pizzeria Victoria St … Continue reading
Five years ago today, on April 24th 2007, “The Restaurant Guy” made its debut in the Santa Barbara Daily Sound newspaper. The South Coast has many experienced and talented restaurant writers/critics so it’s a miracle that this column ever came … Continue reading
On Thursday May 3rd at 5 p.m. Sharkeez at 416 State St will complete a move to 525 State St., the former home of Madison’s Grill & Tavern. Here is a message I received about it: Dear John, My name … Continue reading
I received a tip that a new local coffee shop named Lucky Llama Coffee has opened at 5100 Carpinteria Ave in Carpinteria.
Ready Jody tells me that Our Daily Bread at 831 Santa Barbara St. now serves vegan cookies and cake.
Reliable sources tell me that Panera Bread just signed a lease at 700 State St., the former home of Left At Albuquerque and Ma Dolce Vita. The popular eatery opened their first Santa Barbara location at 3851 State St (next … Continue reading
Here is a list of local food & drink destinations that have closed in the last year: April 2012: Ultimate Bagels 1226 State St March 2012: Brothers Restaurant at Mattei’s Tavern 2350 Railway Ave, Los Olivos; Cafe Shell 1112 State … Continue reading
Sides Hardware and Shoes opened today at 2375 Alamo Pintado in Los Olivos (formerly Patrick’s Side Street Cafe). The eatery is run by brothers Matt and Jeff Nichols who served their last dinner at Brothers Restaurant inside Mattei’s Tavern on … Continue reading
News all over town last weekend is that Scolari’s at 222 N. Milpas St. plans to close. I received a tip that employees were given a 60 day notice but have not confirmed that.
Ultimate Bagels at 1226 State St (next to the Granada) closed their doors on April 13th. The eatery opened in November 2009. Here is a message from owner Alex Weinstein: Dear Loyal Patrons, As of Friday, April 13th, Ultimate Bagels … Continue reading
It appears the Post Office space in Victoria Court is now available for lease. Hi John, Just noticed a for lease sign posted by SIMA above the Victoria Post Office. I had thought they were going to stay open on … Continue reading
This just in from Fresco Cafe 3987 State St: Hello John, I wanted to provide you and your readers information on events coming up at Fresco Cafe. 4/14 — This Saturday from 11 am to 3 pm we are hosting … Continue reading
When I passed through the Santa Barbara airport last month at 5 a.m. (on my way to skiing in Colorado) I used the opportunity to finally take some pictures of the Coffee Bean downstairs, Coffee Bean upstairs and restaurant Costa … Continue reading
Here is a list of food & drink destinations that have opened in the last year: April 2012: Chipotle 3851 State St March 2012: Jersey Mike’s 7034 Marketplace Dr, Goleta; La Arcada Bistro 1112 State St; Nardonne’s La Famiglia Pizzeria … Continue reading
A new restaurant named Cafe Equilibrium that specializes in crepes, coffee and ice cream, has opened at 6549 Pardall Rd in Isla Vista, the former home of Sweet Tooth (2011), Saigon Express (2008) and Menehunes Bar & Grill (2006). Thanks … Continue reading
Mexican restaurant Chipotle has opened next to La Cumbre Plaza at 3851 State St, the former home of Baja Fresh. Additional South Coast locations are at 723 State St. and 270 S. Storke Rd in Goleta. The restaurant, known for … Continue reading
Something might be happening at 230 E. Victoria St, the former home of Spiritland Bistro. Word on the street is that “former owners at that address are going to go back in and open up.” I don’t know if that … Continue reading
I received this message and photo from reader Erik about Ty’s Cafe which will be replacing Minnow Cafe at the Harbor. This posted in the harbor (in front of the old Minnow Cafe) for awhile now. Love your column in … Continue reading
Reader Primetime sent me a note about Outback Steakhouse 5690 Calle Real in Goleta: Being that I am a NASCAR fan….. I see a local connection you should be aware of. Every time Ryan Newman finishes in the top ten … Continue reading
Sources tell me that Chipotle restaurant has opened at the former home of Baja Fresh in La Cumbre Plaza.