RUMOR OF THE MOMENT

Ever since Ruth’s Chris in La Cumbre Plaza closed last June the rumors about a potential replacement have been flying at me from all directions, kind of like Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds.

I am able to successfully dodge most of them including a common species named Factoria Cheesecakus. Though waving my arms in the air seems to help keep them away, occasional one makes an impact, like last December when I published a rumor that Yard House was a strong candidate.

This morning I was going for a run out on the beaches near Ellwood in Goleta when a rumor suddenly swooped down, landed on my shoulder and grabbed my ear, telling me that Yard House is no longer in the running and that BJ’s Brewhouse is now the leading candidate to take over half of the space formerly occupied by Ruth’s Chris. BJ’s has 115 locations throughout the country including California, Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Nevada, Florida, Ohio, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Indiana, Louisiana and Washington. BJ’s offers beer, burgers, steaks, pizza, pasta and more.

You heard it here first.

23 Responses to RUMOR OF THE MOMENT

1. Jen C. says:

Interesting that they would only take “half” of the restaurant…wonder why that is? BJs, Cheesecake factory, and Yard House- love them all, so any would be a welcomed edition!

2. Spank says:

BJ’s is totally mediocre (think Red Robin). Yardhouse is better, but I can’t see them being able to do enough volume uptown (downtown is a totally different story)

3. Alex says:

I hope it’s Yardhouse…

BJ’s is terrible all around (including the service at two locations). Cheesecake Factory offers way too many dishes, most of them poorly. Yardhouse does a lot of dishes surprisingly well, all the locations I’ve seen have a fantastic selection of beers on tap, and the staff are always friendly and go the extra mile.

4. Tama says:

Bj’s in la jolla is pretty decent. Good pizza. I’d be happy with that and cf in the other half.

5. Casper the friendly dude says:

Bjs nutty brunette beer is the best! Now I don’t have to drive down to Oxnard. Sounds like the : I never been but am going to criticize because anything located outside of SB blows, has come out yet again.

6. SL says:

Bummer. i was hoping for a Casa Bonita.

7. Nancy says:

Enjoyed the Latin, John! :-)

8. Sharon says:

I thought Panera’s was going in there! Is that not happening now?

9. Casper the friendly dude says:

Hey SL, I heard they have mighty fine burgers in Iowa. Have you ever been?

10. Danny says:

SL. The last thing this town needs is more Mexican Food.

• SL says:

Casa Bonita is not just Mexican food it’s an experience! Where else can you eat sopapillas with honey while enjoying strolling mariachis, flame jugglers, and a 30-foot waterfall with cliff divers. Before or after your meal you can go enjoy the puppet theater, a “haunted tunnel” called Black Bart’s Cave, an arcade with a large skee-ball room, and a magic theater. It’s awesome. Casa Bonita is my most favorite place in the whole world.

I thought you were joking again. I can’t believe this place actually exists!
    I’m there!

12. sbdude says:

I’m less enthused about a BJ’s as I am a Yard House. While I do enjoy me a Piranha Pale Ale every now and again, the food is pretty mediocre and service is worse. I also had a nice slip-and-fall in the Oxnard location, as their men’s room floor is often under standing “water” and less than kept.

Here’s hoping for a Yard House. They’d have no trouble occupying the entire Ruth’s Chris space, if the Pasadena and San Diego locations are any indication.

13. Eric says:

According to Yardhouse they have no plans to open in SB. The first in Calif. will be in the Valley, near LA