BURGER KING UPDATE

Reader JP says that there is a sign posted at Burger King at 3707 State St. that indicates they are closing in August. Last September I reported that an application has been submitted for the Architectural Board of Review that proposes replacing Burger King with Chick-fil-A restaurant. Chick-fil-A is the nation’s second largest quick-service chicken restaurant chain with more than $3.58 billion in sales in 2010. The eatery has 1,540 locations in 39 states.

14 Responses to BURGER KING UPDATE

1. Santa Barbeerian says:

The few things i dont like about Chick-fil-A is that they are a super religious organization which refuses to open for buisness on Sundays, and they are publicly proud of that stance. But with $3.58 billioin in sales, i guess not one gives a care.

2. Malachi says:

Santa Barbeerian, thanks, I had no idea.
    It’s good to know what your hard earned bucks are supporting when you patronize any business.

Through WinShape, Chick-fil-A has given $3 million to anti-gay social conservative groups since 2003, with a total of $2 million in 2009 alone.

Very revealing wiki post:

3. Bob says:

Wow. Thanks for the tip. Pretty much assures they’ll never see a penny of my money.

4. Ray Goldenberg says:

I and many others will be glad to patronize them. Our forefathers fought for our right to choose our religion. I am sure there are those that believe in this basic freedom that will patronize businesses whether they agree or not with the owner’s religious beliefs.

• sb says:

Love me some Chik-fil-A! Can’t wait.

• Barb says:

It is amazing how some people get upset when someone appears to not be “tolerant” when it goes against your liberal views. Why can’t you practice tolerance about conservative views as well? What makes your views more correct? If you choose not to shop at a healthy and delicious fast food alternative because they close on Sundays, you are are the one being close minded and intolerant, not Chick-Fil-A.

5. not me says:

And I, in turn, will be avoiding Chick-Fil-A and telling everyone I know to do the same based on their support of hardline anti-gay groups. Disgusting.

6. Alex says:

Have you guys actually researched where the donations went? If you’re going on wikipedia where all it states is, ‘donated 2million to anti-gay groups’, with no sources or information on who the groups are, then you’re just as naive as those who you think you are accusing.

I think the majority of the donations are to religious scholarships, etc. Although I may not agree with organized religion, I live in a country where there is religious freedom and respect those that practice religion.

• Bob says:

>>”Over the years, the company’s operators, its WinShape Foundation and the Cathy family have given millions of dollars to a variety of causes and programs, including scholarships that require a pledge to follow Christian values, a string of Christian-based foster homes and groups working to defeat same-sex marriage initiatives.”<< — NYT 1/29/11

In all honesty, Chik-Fil-A had pretty much a zero chance of my patronage regardless of where they funnel their profits, seeing as they don't serve beer and I avoid chain restaurants much the same way I avoid KKK conventions, Taliban indoctrinations and anti-gay initiative rallies.

I exercise my right to not patronize and ask everyone I know to do the same, others have the same right to do the opposite. Now, back to food talk….

No In N Out for you either if have problem with that too, check underneath your cup for John 3:16. Some of the best veggie restaurants around are ones that are run by Buddhists(been to one in LA) and Huell had one on his show from up north somewhere.

Interesting tidbit, All Chick-fil-As are closed on Sunday apparently. Founder is S. Truett Cathy(a guy), apparently Baptist. He started the policy to honor God and give workers time with their families apparently. He started the chain in Atlanta. So I guess its a bible loosen your belt place.

9. WorldFoodie says:

I will be there first thing on February 7th 2013 to welcome a company with a moral compass, that not only helps teach its staff real values of hard work, kindness, respect, but also helps its student workers by providing them with scholarships to help them through college. How many companies do you know that will close on a Sunday, losing revenue to allow their staff to be with their families and friends, as well as have a day’s rest?

Just because the company has morals and values, which in today’s world is very rare indeed (hence our violent, unhappy society), that are different from others, and are practicing their right to freedom of speech and religion, does not mean that those who do not share their beliefs should boycott them. So sue them for creating a clean, happy, healthy environment for families and friends to gather and enjoy a meal together! The company should be celebrated, not boycotted by intolerant, narrow minded people.

10. Charlotte says:

It will be interesting to see what kind of staff they hired to represent.

I went to my first Chik in Encinitas a few months ago. Good stuff and the people were extra nice. I didn’t even have to sing a hymn or anything.