PANERA PANORAMA

Over the weekend while I was enjoying an Island Bowl at Backyard Bowls at La Cumbre Plaza I decided to do a visual inspection of the progress of nearby Panera Bread. The windows were too dusty to take a photo of the interior but fortunately I found one spot where there was a gap between panes of glass. I stuck my arm through the gap and shot this 2-picture panorama using the Pano app on my iPhone 4S.

13 Responses to PANERA PANORAMA

1. Jen C. says:

Guess that means it’s not opening at the end of this month after all… I’ll just keep waiting

2. andyr says:

You should check out Photosynth for iOS. It’s free, and made by Microsoft for iOS only, interestingly enough, but works very well.

3. Nancy says:

I spoke to the mgr. of the Ventura Panera a few weeks ago, and she said that the La Cumbre store had experienced delays due to their dealings with the city of SB (big surprise!) and that they will open in March.

• Robert says:

The City of SB’s mantra during the recession has been to hike up fees and costs for everything, especially those related to building permits. If you’re a national chain? Forget about it, you’re going to get taxed and fee’d through the nose, “Oh you guys want to have electicity in your building? That’s extra…Windows? That’s another fee. Oh, I see you have doors leading in and out on your plans, that’s gonna cost you…” That’s basically how the CIty does things now, insanely difficult to get things done for building owners and businesses, but people around here are so quick to blame “greedy landlords” the City’s greed goes unnoticed.

4. Fay says:

I’ve been low to no carb-ing it for almost 4 months now; Panera is a most excellent way to fall off the wagon!

5. Casper the friendly dude says:

Why would anyone even be excited about this? $10 for a sandwich you can make at home. I was at the Camarillo location with a friend a few months ago and the employee was literally pulling the sandwich bread from what looked to be a Albertson’s sandwich bag.

6. I think competition is great for everyone. It raises the level of dining in the entire area. But do not despair for the large chain and their treatment in Santa Barbara, or any city. In fact, in most cases they are treated favorably when it comes to rental costs, and very often pay less than half the square footage that the mom and pop stores do in town, whether it be a restaurant or a retail store.
    That is why the family owned businesses are declining, while the large chains are taking the prime spots everywhere. I shop in chains and big stores like everyone else, but lets face it, they will always have the advantage, and if we are not careful, the rest of us will disappear. Nobody likes all the red tape, but think of what Santa Barbara would look like without it.

• Alexandra says:

I would think if there were less red tape then more mom and pop stores would be able to afford to open up. Wouldn’t red tape help the big chains since they have more money to burn?

7. There will always be regulations that we feel are overbearing but we have to accept that some come from the federal government as well as your local city. For small business, I think the answer is to have landlords with empty space be more inclined to give rent breaks while the process is ongoing, especially if the spaces were empty for a long time, with the promise of a prepared, well funded business, compliant with regulations.
    The problem is that sometimes the landlords are hot to get in a known chain that they feel will make their center well positioned, and can sign a long term lease. In some cases, the big chain can pay little or nothing to get in the center. In reality, most high end, big chains do not do as well in this city, but again, not due to high rents but to the reaction from the consumer. As I said, most chains pay a fraction of the rent that smaller businesses pay per square ft. In the end, the consumer will decide, as we have seen with many chains that have come and gone.
    You can visit many cities, Santa Fe is a good example, where regulations have helped keep that old town lovely and historic, while many unique small businesses thrive. None of us want to see Santa Barbara lose it’s charm and small town feel, “where everybody knows your name”