XANADU OPENS WEDNESDAY

Xanadu Bakery at 1028 Coast Village Rd (next to Vons) in Montecito, plans to reopen tomorrow. The business closed in July 2010 after a fire damaged the building. Owner Sepi Mashhoon tells me “I just wanted to thank everybody for supporting me, staying in touch with me, and helping me make the decision to come back.” Hours are 5;30am-7pm every day. For more information call 805-969-3550.

14 Responses to XANADU OPENS WEDNESDAY

Nice, they make a good sandwich and not as expensive as you might think for Montecito.

2. Delia says:

So excited for this comeback! I missed this place!

3. SL says:

A place where nobody dared to go
    The love that we came to know
    They call it Xanadu
    (It takes your breath and it’ll leave you blind)

And now, open your eyes and see
    What we have made is real
    We are in Xanadu
    (A dream of it,we offer you)

A million lights are dancing
    And there you are, a shooting star
    An everlasting world and you’re here with me
    Eternally

Xanadu–Xanadu (now we are here)
    In Xanadu(Xanadu)
    Xanadu–Xanadu (now we are here)
    In Xanadu

Xanadu your neon lights will shine
    For you Xanadu

The love, the echoes of long ago
    You needed the world to know
    They are in Xanadu
    (With every breath you drift away)

The dream that came through a million years
    That lived on through all the tears
    It came to Xanadu
    (The dream you dream,well it will happen for you)

A million lights are dancing and there you are
    A shooting star, an everlasting world and you’re
    Here with me eternally

Xanadu–Xanadu (now we are here)
    In Xanadu(Xanadu)
    Xanadu–Xanadu (now we are here)
    In Xanadu(Xanadu,Xanadu)

Now that I’m here, now that you’re near in Xanadu
    Now that I’m here, now that you’re near in Xanadu
    Xanadu

But are you wearing a headband when you sing it?

5. nick says:

As a native santa barbarian, I miss xanadu’s almond croissant! I had to find another croissant to fill the void, which was at Arnol’s in five points. Arnols took it to another level, but I still love xanadu’s almond croissant, and look forward to returning there after surfing Hammond’s and the Biltmore!

• DN says:

NICK: If you want a good almond croissant, you MUST try Renaud’s at the Loreto Plaza. By far the best!

• SL says:

For sure! Their croissants in general are awesome. I’d even go so far to say they are on par with what you find in Paris.

• a p c says:

Their expensive $5 eclairs are somehow worth every penny too.

• Bob says:

Ok SL, that is a very serious claim!

We hit up Xanadu today (used to go there every once in a while but were never regulars), and based on your recommendation I got a croissant (plain, although I remember the chocolate being quite good). Good, but not up to Parisian standards. Too doughy, not “light” enough, although my girlfriend maintains the recent humid weather provided us with a less than stellar example (she always loved the place). However, I replied that Paris has plenty of “humidity” and they [somehow], have no problems providing perfect croissants almost anywhere you go. That said, it’s great to have Xanadu back, and I got an unexpectedly excellent latte to boot (I don’t remember ever being psyched on their coffee).

• Elizabeth says:

Not familiar w/ Arnol’s — where is this place at 5 Pts?

6. Bobby says:

So happy to see this coming back. It was my favorite bakery and croissant breakfast sandwich in SB!