RUMOR OF THE MOMENT

Ever since Ruth’s Chris in La Cumbre Plaza closed last June, rumors about their replacement have hit my inbox fast & furious. The rumor I most frequently receive is Cheesecake Factory which I believe is false. The rumor of the moment is Yard House which serves American fusion cuisine featuring more than 130 items including appetizers, salads, pastas, sandwiches, street tacos, grilled burgers, individual-size pizzas, seafood, steaks and ribs. As always, this rumor might be completely false or a brilliant forecast of future events. Your call.

36 Responses to RUMOR OF THE MOMENT

1. Scott says:

I’d kill for a P.F. Chang’s!!!

2. Paul says:

$3.50 pints at Happy Hour ain’t bad.

3. Sharon says:

Where can we vote!! We LOVE Yard House!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Sandi says:

Why can’t we get a Cheesecake Factory in this town?

5. JT says:

I Sure hope its Yard House. SO MANY BEERS ON TAP!!! Finally a restaurant with a lot of brews!

6. pjt says:

Will enough people go to Yard House at that location in La Cumbre Plaza???? I think that’s always been the problem for the big chains…not enough volume to sustain business.

7. Tama says:

Depends on price point. Ruth Chris was too expensive.

8. Spencer says:

I overheard the owner of Plaza Deli in La Cumbre Plaza saying that the Yard House was going into the spot. Not sure if he’s more informed than the public as a business owner.

9. a p c says:

What about a local restaurant we can support around here, right? I’m just kidding. Yard House would be great, it’d be like the Brewhouse but with service that doesn’t completely suck!

10. Tom says:

Because not all of us are pretentious?

11. Sarah says:

The Yard House is amazing! SL- have you ever been? They are one of the better chains, and I hate to use that word because they are so NOT a chain… It would be a welcome edition to Santa Barbara!

12. sbdude says:

A Yard House would be awesome. I’m not exactly sure how you can tell a menu is a “train wreck” by simply looking at it, but the food is a step above the likes of BJ’s and Hollister Brewing Company, and the countless number of beers on tap are icing on the cake.

No local eatery could possible occupy a space that larger and make a profit, especially considering the demands placed on the tenant for rent and profit sharing (which is the reason Ruth’s Chris left in the first place. This I know from conversations with the General Manager).

That makes sense. It seems like people seek out the Cheesecake Factory(which I have been to and liked) and apparently from the above comments the Yard House(which I have not been too but seems a lot like the Brewhouse which I like), apparently not enough people went out of their way for Ruth Chris or Red Robin or Marie Calendars for the Plaza, maybe enough will for Yard House. Looks like the closest Cheesecake Factory is in Thousand Oaks.

14. MA says:

I would love to see a Z’Tejas. There are not many of them (only one in California I believe) and the food and drinks are great.

15. rogerblws says:

Don’t want to sound like a dick SL but you seem to eat out a lot. I see your “opinions” on every thread.

16. Rudeboy says:

I was wishing for Hooters to go in that space. I love chains!!!!!!

17. Krista and Tony says:

I’ve been to the Yard House in LA near Staples and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I know a lot of people don’t like chains but remember chains are usually franchises and owned by locals. I’ve had plenty of great food at local restaurants and I’ve had some crap food a local restaurants, chains at least have a baseline standard and, its easier for them to be consistent. We eat out a lot and more often than not we go to a non-chain restaurant or a local chain but, really, what matters is who’s got the good food. Being a chain doesn’t preclude the food form being good and being local doesn’t guarantee a good meal.

18. ER says:

Yardhouse would be a welcome sight in SB! Good price point, a zillion beers on tap, and (IMHO) the best onion rings on the planet.

19. Charlotte says:

I used to live in L.A. And would frequent C.F. A few times a month, never had an even remotely bad meal. Portions are enough to share or take home. I’m not big on chains but I Do like C.F. And I like Islands as well for that matter.

20. Rudeboy says:

A chain is nothing more than a Mom and Pop that’s done very well. So shut your pie hole Charlotte.

21. Sarah says:

If you like the Cheesecake Factory, the YardHouse is actually a step up. A BIG step up. The food is artfully done, super fresh and reasonably priced. Just a solid place all around, so why is that so bad? Santa Barbara has influx of “non-chain” restaurants that are honestly not that great and jack up the prices because they to survive high rent and food costs. This is great solution. I am super excited and hope that they secure this soon. And for the record, if the YardHouse menu looks like a Train wreck, but you frequent the Cheesecake Factory and think that menu isn’t a train wreck, I question your opinion in general. Don’t knock this place until you tried it. No one should have an opinion on it until they have eaten the food. And like SL- he/she tried it and didn’t like it, so they can express their opinion freely because its honest. At least they can back it up.

• Glenn says:

This is the same discussion every couple of months but agree that chains are just mom and pops that have expanded. Ones that started in SB area and have branched out of at least the county are Freebirds, The Habit, Rusty’s and Blenders. If a company is not growing then you have to kind of wonder why they don’t like South Coast or Panino is which to me seem like the next ones to break out of the county. McDonalds, Starbucks and Subway started someplace too. First Subway, Bridgeport, Conn, First McD, San Bernadino, Starbucks Seattle.

• Sarah says:

Exactly! And seriously, YardHouse is so Santa Barbara. Truly, it is a great fit. I grew up here and now live in the SY Valley, and I want to see Mom and Pop’s succeed. But this is a really good fit. I promise!

22. Pingback: RUMOR OF THE MOMENT | The Restaurant Guy

23. Sam says:

La Cumbre Plaza is over priced property that needs to be torn down and redone. We all know that won’t happen, but nonetheless. I HOPE yardhouse goes in there. Tht place has great food, beers and service! If it doesn’t go in there I’d like to see it go in where the old Vons was located on Chapala, behind the Arlington. I for one have my fingers crossed they put one here ASAP!

24. Alex says:

So you’re okay with Cheesecake Factory, but not Yard House?

25. Alex says:

But Cheesecake Factory you do like?

26. julibelleSB says:

Chains are great! If you enjoy paying restaurant prices for pre cut, processed, canned & frozen food, knowing you are sending an estimated .40 of every dollar to the corporation ( which is seldom headquartered , in SB County or even California), creating more dumbed down, easily replaced kitchen positions for good hardworking men and women – ‘don’t ask for a raise, there are plenty of people willing to do your job’…after all we didn’t make an investment by training you into a skill or anything….so many people here seem to just be interested in piles of mediocre food at ‘great prices’ as long as there is a long list of boring mass produced beers… no wonder its like pulling teeth to find a decent, thoughtfully, well prepared meal in this town AT ANY PRICE POINT!

27. sbdude says:

Agreed. If that menu isn’t all over the place, I’m not sure what is.