- Blush - Seasonal Californian cuisine and profound signature cocktails in a modern setting. Available for private parties.
- Bistro Eleven Eleven - A stylish restaurant located in the Hotel Mar Monte that serves contemporary American cuisine with California flair.
- Ca' Dario is a local favorite Italian restaurant that wins "Best Of" awards year after year.
- Coast Restaurant & Bar - Savory, accessible comfort food reflecting Santa Barbara's seaside access.
- Eladio's - Offering California Casual Comfort food for lunch and dinner with a panoramic view of the waterfront.
- EOS Lounge - A contemporary cocktail lounge and nightclub with an exotic atmosphere.
- Omni Catering is a unique, full-service catering and event production company that specializes in custom event creation.
- Pizza Guru - Traditional and eccentric gourmet pizzas, salads, panini & pastas. Local sources, organic goodness.
- Pizza Mizza - Much More than Great Pizza...we offer Santa Barbara's Best Gourmet Pizzas
- Pure Joy Catering offers the entire package in full service special event and wedding catering.
- Silvergreens - Making our food as healthy as possible without compromising taste. Eat Smart...Live Well.
- Sly's Steaks, Seafood & Cocktails has earned a reputation for high quality foods with a vintage flair using the best of local and in-season ingredients.
- The Palace Grill - Features authentic Louisiana specialties such as Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffée and more.
- The Marquee - Classic elegance located in the newly restored Granada Theatre
- The Savoy - A hybrid restaurant/lounge/concert hall and nightclub at 409 State Street
- Whole Foods Market - The premier location for organic produce and meats, local wines, specialty cheeses and more.
Monthly Archives: December 2011
Reader Sarah says: “Hi John. We just drove by the old Tapayec Taquitos location and it has a sign for Taqueria Cuernavaca coming soon.” Reader Adam says: “New restaurant alert: Former home of Tepeyac has a sign/logo on the front … Continue reading
Tipsters let me know that the phone number for Cafe Zoma in Goleta is disconnected. I called Cafe Zoma downtown and was told that their Goleta location is no longer in business. Cafe Zoma Goleta opened in November 2010. This … Continue reading
I called Rudy’s Mexican restaurant in Paseo Nuevo and was told that December 31st is their last day in business.
In mid-November I wrote that Eureka Burger will be coming to Paseo Nuevo in the old Ruby’s Diner location next to California Pizza Kitchen. I am told that Eureka has now put signs up in Paseo Nuevo indicating their pending … Continue reading
I called Petros in Los Olivos today and was told the opening for their new location at 1316 State St. has been changed to next Tuesday, January 3rd.
Because the opening of the Santa Barbara location for Petros restaurant has been moved to the new year, the official year-end stats have changed: Openings in 2011: 39 Closings in 2011: 40
My foodie duties for the year wouldn’t be complete without summarizing activity at food & drink destinations on the South Coast. In 2011 there were 40 openings and 40 closings of food-related businesses (with walk-in storefronts) across the South Coast … Continue reading
I am told that a new natural food restaurant named “Route 217” and a Subway deli opened inside the UCen at UCSB earlier this year. These eateries replaced Gaucho Cafe and Wendy’s. Chilitos, which closed earlier this year, will be … Continue reading
A tipster tells me that “ANQI Bistro & Noodle Bar” has been taking a look at 18 E. Cota St., the former home of Cafe Luck.
I called Petros in Los Olivos and was told that their new Santa Barbara location at 1316 State St. (formerly Cafe Buenos Aires) will have a soft opening at the end of this week.
A new sandwich shop named Tony’s Market & Deli is planning to open in the near future at 27 Parker Way, which is just around the corner from Santa Barbara Roasting Co. as well as across the street from Yoga … Continue reading
I spoke with owner Jeff Snyder who tells me that he plans to open an American cuisine restaurant named “Pace” at 413 State St., the former home of Momma Donna’s. Snyder, who has been a chef for 30+ years at … Continue reading
Xanadu Bakery at 1028 Coast Village Rd in Montecito, originally scheduled to reopen by Christmas, now plans to open in January. The business closed in July 2010 after a fire damaged the building.
Downtown eatery Momma Donna’s at 413 State St. has closed their doors. The restaurant opened in February of this year, replacing Billies, which itself replaced Lettuce B. Frank.
I hear Lito’s Mexican Restaurant of Santa Barbara will be featured on the Food Networks ‘Diners Drive-Ins and Dives’, hosted by Guy Fieri, tonight December 26th at 10pm, December 27th at 1am and January 6th at 9pm.
Today I updated the restaurant guide and added The New Black BBQ (food truck), eBar (coffee shop extension of Nordstrom), Costa Terraza (airport upstairs), Coffee Bean (airport upstairs) and Coffee Bean (airport downstairs).
I received a tip from reader Primetime and blogger/Montecito Messenger columnist Craig Smith that it is unlikely that Maggies will open this December as planned at 1201 State St, the former home of State & A. I’m told the interior … Continue reading
Sources tell me that a new bakery will arrive in February at 1150 Coast Village Rd in Montecito, the former home of Whodidily.
Reliable sources tell me that new restaurant Petros at 1316 State St. (formerly Cafe Buenos Aires) will be opening this Thursday or Friday.
KEYT paid a visit to the Accidental Santa center and here is their news story about it. For the first time this year we kept track of where calls originated. I put a red dot on a map on each … Continue reading
The Accidental Santa call center launched today at my home which means things will be so busy you might not hear from me much until next week. Children can speak to Santa & Mrs. Claus (or an Elf) by calling … Continue reading
Unity Shoppe at 1219 State Street helps fulfill people’s basic needs which can prevent homelessness and welfare dependency. They serve more than 22,000 people who are referred yearly by more than 300 non-profit agencies, churches, schools and hospitals. By providing … Continue reading
“The Restaurant Guy” food news blog was launched 5 years ago on December 19, 2006. The first blog entry was titled Hello World. At that point I had been running the SantaBarbara.com Restaurant Guide for 10 years, silently in the … Continue reading
Reader Daryl tells me that a few doors down from Ca Dario on Victoria St. a new ABC license notice has appeared for “Ca Dario Pizzeria.” I spoke with the restaurant and they confirmed that they plan to open a … Continue reading
I have heard from a few sources that the recently closed Sweet Alley in Camino Real Marketplace will likely become a Jersey Mike’s sub sandwich shop.
While making the 694 phone calls required to assemble a list of restaurants open on Christmas Day I discovered that Pizza By The Slice in Paseo Nuevo had a disconnected phone number. I did some research and found out that … Continue reading
Ever since Ruth’s Chris in La Cumbre Plaza closed last June, rumors about their replacement have hit my inbox fast & furious. The rumor I most frequently receive is Cheesecake Factory which I believe is false. The rumor of the … Continue reading
Two weeks remain for the 6th-annual SantaBarbara.com Restaurant Survey of your favorite places for food & drink. The online survey runs each year throughout December and the results will be published during the first week of January. The survey results, … Continue reading
This just in from Casa Blanca at 330 State St.: Hey John, Just wanted to let you know that Adam has recently hired a new Head Chef at Casa Blanca Restaurant to help with overall operations (cuisine and menu). His … Continue reading
Sources tell me that Panera Bread, coming to the La Cumbre Plaza area, has ramped up construction once again and is in high gear now.