THEN & NOW

Before IHOP moved into 1701 State St. a restaurant named J.K. Frimples occupied that address. Before J.K. Frimples came along, a restaurant named Blue Onion called 1701 State St. home, back in the 1950′s & 60′s.

• Reader Don has scanned the Blue Onion’s menu and put it online for you. Check out the prices!

14 Responses to THEN & NOW

1. John says:

In the 50′s the “car hops” wore roller skates, and you ate from a tray that fastened on your car window.

2. R says:

Wasn’t it “Ryan’s” between JK Frimples and IHOP?!

3. JP says:

My dad always talks about crusing at the Blue Onion. he said it was good times.

4. Whirl says:

I believe between the Blue Onion & JK Frimples it was called something like The Tree House, or The Fig Tree, probably late 60′s or early 70′s.

5. SL says:

Don thanks so much for sharing the menu! For some reason I really enjoy seeing old menus and this is a good one. The “Betty Co-Ed Salad” oh my! Pretty amazing to see those prices too.

So looking at the map on the menu it appears there were two Blue Onions near the bird refuge? Were there were Stella Mare’s and Cafe del Sol is now? Seems odd there would be two so close together.

6. Art says:

after the Blue Onion it was called the Fig Tree and they had live wallebees in the area under the tree behind the glass. It was the Fig Tree all through the ’70s and well into the ’80s. The food was a lot better the Frimples which as I remember put powdered sugar on everything they served

7. Darvene West says:

I remember many years ago, my hubby and I always went to J. K. Frimples and so enjoyed the Morton Bay Fig Tree in the center of the restaurant. We always ordered the Belgiun Waffles with fresh apricot syrup. It was a highlight of our trip to California.

8. Holly Rosenthal Lindenthaler says:

There was nothing like a Basket Burger enjoyed sitting in
    the back seat of our 1950 Buick!

9. Mario Vazquez says:

I worked at J. K. Frimples from September 1977 through
    February 1979. It was agreat place to work. I’m from Uruguay, but
    in the back kitchen they were all from Mexico (Manuel, Javier,
    etc.). In the front line they were some Vietnam vets (Frank,
    Rick).., and Pedro from Portugal. Wes was the GM…, Ron owned the
    joint.

10. Eddie Gonzalez says:

A friend of mine says that there were live wallabys in where the tree was.anyone else remember that?

11. Holly Thrasher says:

My father started J.K. Frimples when I was a young girl, early 1970′s. It had previously been the Blue Onion & The Fig Tree when he bought it. The J & K were my Dad’s initials (John Kingston) and my older sister’s initials (June Kristine). The story on the menu about my sister & I making desserts out of mud in our backyard was true. My older sister came up with the name Frimples for her mud dessert. Mine was Rubble Dubble Cake, both were on the menu and in the beginning, my mother made all the Frimples & other desserts from scratch. I remember watching my mom sew all of the cloth napkins that were used for years. There were Wallabees in the glass enclosed tree are for a bit, but they were making quite a mess & the window washer was bitten, so my dad donated them to the Child’s Estate, now the SB Zoo. Unfortunately, they were all killed when a pack of wild dogs came through the zoo one night. My Dad sold Frimples to Ron Larson around 1974 or so & it remained Frimples through the 1980′s. We still have the big commercial waffle maker from Frimples & it is a family tradition to have Frimple’s waffles on family get togethers.

My dad, John Bishop, sold Frimples to focus on the Taco Bells he owned in SB. He built the Milpas TB in 1967 & then Isla Vista, De La Vina & Fairview followed. He later expanded his Taco Bell franchises to the Bakersfield area. After being a TB franchisee for over 20 years he sold off all the Taco Bells in the late 80′s when Pepsi announced they were eliminating kitchens in Taco Bells…yuck! He then bought The Good Earth Restaurant downtown on Canon Perdido. My dad purchased Bray’s 101 in Goleta in the late 80′s & put in The Good Earth after moving it from Canon Perdido when the Nordstroms was going in. He had it for 14 years until he sold it in 1999 and then passed away shortly after. My dad loved the restaurant business & our family has always missed J.K. Frimples!