THEN & NOW

Before IHOP moved into 1701 State St. a restaurant named J.K. Frimples occupied that address. Before J.K. Frimples came along, a restaurant named Blue Onion called 1701 State St. home, back in the 1950′s & 60′s.

• Reader Don has scanned the Blue Onion’s menu and put it online for you. Check out the prices!

12 Responses to THEN & NOW

1. John says:

In the 50′s the “car hops” wore roller skates, and you ate from a tray that fastened on your car window.

2. R says:

Wasn’t it “Ryan’s” between JK Frimples and IHOP?!

3. JP says:

My dad always talks about crusing at the Blue Onion. he said it was good times.

4. Whirl says:

I believe between the Blue Onion & JK Frimples it was called something like The Tree House, or The Fig Tree, probably late 60′s or early 70′s.

5. SL says:

Don thanks so much for sharing the menu! For some reason I really enjoy seeing old menus and this is a good one. The “Betty Co-Ed Salad” oh my! Pretty amazing to see those prices too.

So looking at the map on the menu it appears there were two Blue Onions near the bird refuge? Were there were Stella Mare’s and Cafe del Sol is now? Seems odd there would be two so close together.

6. Art says:

after the Blue Onion it was called the Fig Tree and they had live wallebees in the area under the tree behind the glass. It was the Fig Tree all through the ’70s and well into the ’80s. The food was a lot better the Frimples which as I remember put powdered sugar on everything they served

7. Darvene West says:

I remember many years ago, my hubby and I always went to J. K. Frimples and so enjoyed the Morton Bay Fig Tree in the center of the restaurant. We always ordered the Belgiun Waffles with fresh apricot syrup. It was a highlight of our trip to California.

8. Holly Rosenthal Lindenthaler says:

There was nothing like a Basket Burger enjoyed sitting in
    the back seat of our 1950 Buick!

9. Mario Vazquez says: