On Fathers Day I was enjoying a nice BBQ dinner at my parents’ home in Montecito when I noticed that something was stuck in the back of my throat. Thinking it was a piece of overly-cooked chicken I tried to send the thing down the hatch by drinking a glass of water. No luck. I then downed a large glass of milk yet for some reason this mysterious object was still there. I finally decided to do a serious investigation to see what this thing was. After a few tries I was able to carefully dislodge it with fancy finger work in front of a mirror.
It turns out that the prickly pest was a sharp metal wire. What had happened was that our old BBQ grill scrub brush had started shedding metal bristles on to the grill which subsequently got transferred to the food – and nearly sent me to the hospital. We quickly disposed of all old BBQ brushes and I tossed out the old ones at my home. All were many years old. I had no idea BBQ brushes can be so dangerous. From now on I won’t keep old ones around and I will inspect the grill after I use them. You might consider doing the same.