PANERA BREAD UPDATE

I have been writing about Panera Bread since February 2, 2010. I have issued a seemingly endless stream of tips and rumors about the eatery coming to Santa Barbara. In all that time there has never been any visible sign that Panera is actually coming here. No notice on the window. No banner on the building. No construction crews. No rolled up sleeves with blueprints, wandering the property. For all you know I made it all up. Well, I am receiving word today that there is now visible progress of Panera Bread coming to 3851 State St, next to Baja Fresh in La Cumbre Plaza. I’m not sure exactly what that means, though. I’ll swing by later today and take a look.

20110616-034141.jpg 20110616-034238.jpg

12 Responses to PANERA BREAD UPDATE

1. Sam says:

it is true. I walked past there today and they are doing demo.

2. Nancy says:

YEAH!!! Love their soups, and crunchy cinnamon bagels!

I think it will find its niche in town and seems like a good place for the shopping center. Experiencing it in Santa Maria recently it will probably not blow away places like South Coast Deli or Panino in terms of quality but the nicer ambience will service the Mall shoppers.

4. Rob says:

As a San Roque resident I can’t freakin’ wait. Upper State is devoid of good sandwich/salad/soup options for lunch or a light dinner. Been a huge fan of Panera ever since I first had it about 10 years ago in the midwest. Its not a better sandwich than South Coast, Panino, or 3 Pickles, but considering Upper State Street has nothing like that, its a great fit.

5. N says:

Panera’s freshly baked artisan breads are much better than what you can find at the local delis in town. Can’t wait for it to open!

6. Travis says:

It’s now November…is Panera still opening? I drove by there this weekend and didn’t see any signs.

7. keith says:

I’m hearing that Chipolte is going in there ……

8. Greta Welterlen says:

There is a Panera Bread “Now Hiring” sign in the window of the old bank location, with a Chipotle sign next door!!!!

9. Sandi says:

Can’t wait for that crunchy cinnamon bagel to come to town! We need restaurants in town that hold to a high standard of service,quality and cleanliness. Often it takes a corporate policy to enforce those stantards.

10. Charlotte says:

Recently visited Panera in L.A…….I went with several friends, so I tasted several different things, (we like to share) and everything was really good! Great menu and execution! Panera, where have you been all my life?! Open!

The Santa Maria one did not bowl me over when I went but I’ll keep an open mind when I try this one. Its hard to beat a South Coast Deli or others in town, it seems like these places are a class above though in terms of ambience and that’s what a lot of people also go for.