“ITALIA” TO REPLACE EUROPEAN DELI

Gisela Neumann, founder of European Deli at 149 N. Fairview Ave (next to OSH) in Goleta, retired recently and the restaurant is now run by her son Andre Neumann. Neumann plans to close the European Deli at the end of this week and reopen late next week as Italia Pizza & Pasta. The menu will include hand-tossed pizzas, chicken parm/picatta, spaghetti & meatballs, take & bake, sandwiches, calzone, salad and kids meals. The new restaurant will also have a happy hour, delivery and catering. For more information visit italiapizzapasta.com. Thanks to reader Anita for providing me a tip about Goleta’s newest eatery!

10 Responses to “ITALIA” TO REPLACE EUROPEAN DELI

1. Anita says:

So does this mean it is not the same owners as the old Italia Pizzeria? I was hoping they were coming back…

2. David says:

What a disappointment. I really liked the Euro.

• SL says:

Yeah it really is. Besides all the tasty food they prepared they also offered sausages and other products that are hard to find. Sad to see it being replaced by some generic Americanized Italian red sauce slop house. Another loss of diversity in our diminishing SB food scene.

3. Paul says:

Boo! I loved the European Deli, was very authentic.

4. Bob says:

Wishing Gisela a wonderful retirement.

5. Hugh says:

NO, No, no….!! There are only two German restaurants in the entire SB area. How many Italian restaurants?
    Petrini’s right down the street..didn’t anyone learn from Stix opening across from China City? They are both closed now! Rusty’s is right there too.
    I love Italian food. I can cook Italian food. I can get Italian food delivered.
    I cannot ever make a Schnitzel or red cabbage like that or find Nurmberg Brats or decent German Potato Salad..This news upsets me. This is one of my favorite places to have lunch anywhere.
    Is business that bad there? Or does somebody fancy themselves a “Restauranteur” rather than a chef/owner of a fine ethnic restaurant?
    I will vote with my dollars. I will eat there everyday next week if I can. Then I will take my business elsewhere with great regret.
    If someone gives you a car as a gift that works perfectly and you repaint it and pull off the wheels and drive it into the sea, it is not suddenly a boat. It’s an anchor!
    Pardon me while I cry into my Pilsner…

6. Staudenmaier says:

Noooooooooooooo! I will die without my Jaeger Schnitzel. Die, I tell you!!!

7. I wish we could have kept it the way it is but our supplier of German meats has raised his prices several times and we have absorbed the increase both times and demanding larger orders to delve while we carried his business and supported him for over 7 years. To protect our lease changes had to be made, while retaining majority of our signature sandwiches we will not be able to keep our sausages or schnitzel. Mom has worked 7 days a week for over 7 years and the only time she had off is when I ran the company, she deserves to begin her life. We will expand our hours to 7 days a week, having happy hour, supporting our schools with giving every teacher 10% off their meal every time and a seniors night with the same discount. Delivery of quality Italian food is much needed in the Goleta area and will continue to provide the same fresh ingredients and standards that has made European Deli’s reputation.

8. charlotte klein says:

Yes indeed we will all miss The Euro (especially us Germans) but Gisella needs to enjoy herself now, she deserves it! But please don’t bash Italia when it has NOT even opened yet! Good luck Andre!