- Art on DOWNTOWN PANERA BREAD CLOSES
- SL on THE FIG GRILL OPENING IN GOLETA
- Roberto on THE FIG GRILL OPENING IN GOLETA
- William Munny on DOWNTOWN PANERA BREAD CLOSES
- Barry on DOWNTOWN PANERA BREAD CLOSES
- Jes on CLOSURES AT SB PUBLIC MARKET?
- Edwin Self on FAVORITE CLOSED RESTAURANTS
- Cathy on SHALHOOB PATIO UPDATE
- Blush - Seasonal Californian cuisine and profound signature cocktails in a modern setting. Available for private parties.
- Bistro Eleven Eleven - A stylish restaurant located in the Hotel Mar Monte that serves contemporary American cuisine with California flair.
- Ca' Dario is a local favorite Italian restaurant that wins "Best Of" awards year after year.
- Coast Restaurant & Bar - Savory, accessible comfort food reflecting Santa Barbara's seaside access.
- Eladio's - Offering California Casual Comfort food for lunch and dinner with a panoramic view of the waterfront.
- EOS Lounge - A contemporary cocktail lounge and nightclub with an exotic atmosphere.
- Omni Catering is a unique, full-service catering and event production company that specializes in custom event creation.
- Pizza Guru - Traditional and eccentric gourmet pizzas, salads, panini & pastas. Local sources, organic goodness.
- Pizza Mizza - Much More than Great Pizza...we offer Santa Barbara's Best Gourmet Pizzas
- Pure Joy Catering offers the entire package in full service special event and wedding catering.
- Silvergreens - Making our food as healthy as possible without compromising taste. Eat Smart...Live Well.
- Sly's Steaks, Seafood & Cocktails has earned a reputation for high quality foods with a vintage flair using the best of local and in-season ingredients.
- Stella Mare's - Enjoy cocktails, wine and casual French Country cuisine in a unique and charming location overlooking the Bird Refuge.
- The Palace Grill - Features authentic Louisiana specialties such as Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffée and more.
- The Marquee - Classic elegance located in the newly restored Granada Theatre
- The Savoy - A hybrid restaurant/lounge/concert hall and nightclub at 409 State Street
- Whole Foods Market - The premier location for organic produce and meats, local wines, specialty cheeses and more.
Monthly Archives: April 2011
On December 21, 2010 I wrote that dogs would soon be allowed on restaurant patios. The Santa Barbara County Environmental Health Services (EHS) updated their policy last Friday to make this official and I have posted the EHS press-release below along with the new … Continue reading
Tinker’s at 2275 Ortega Hill Rd in Summerland now offers a line of gourmet burgers, including: The Ortega Burger – 1/3 # burger, roasted ortega chiles, pepper jack cheese, mayonaise, lettuce, tomato, pickle, and onion Some Like it Hot – 1/3# … Continue reading
I received a tip that Au Bon Climat is opening a tasting room next door to Intermezzo in the El Paseo complex. I have not confirmed that this is true, but today I am trying to clear out my inbox so I … Continue reading
I received a message today about the new Chocolats du CaliBressan opening in Santa Barbara Tuesday, May 3rd: Hi John, Chocolats du CaliBressan is opening our newest addition to Santa Barbara. We will be open Tuesday , May 3rd , just in time for … Continue reading
Reader Glenn tells me that Mexican eatery Mariscos Boca De Rio at 326 N. Milpas St has closed and that the entire building they were in is now gone. I think that they were one of the addresses leveled to make room for … Continue reading
I received an tip that a new taco restaurant just opened at 751 Linden Ave in Carpinteria at a location formerly occupied by C&J Produce. I am told that the name is “Don Rocks Tacos” or something similar to that.
This just in from Silvergreens (791 Chapala St and 900 Embarcadero Del Mar in Isla Vista): Hey John, Silvergreens (both locations) just debuted our latest menu! Some of our new offerings are all-natural Turkey Burgers, Spaghetti & Meatballs, new shrimp and chicken … Continue reading
Stonehouse Restaurant at 900 San Ysidro Ln in Montecito has brought back chef Jamie West to the position previously held by chef John Trotta, who no longer works at the eatery.
Tomorrow (Friday) I will be going on a Santa Barbara City College fieldtrip to JPL where we will see, among other things, the nuclear-powered Mars rover named “Curiosity” and the Sky Crane that will be lowering it to the red planet next year. The launch … Continue reading
A French-American restaurant, brought to you by the 3 owners of Stella Mare’s in Montecito, will be opening in the 2nd week of May at 3302 McCaw Avenue near Los Positas and upper State Street. Here is a message from co-owner Philippe: Hi John, … Continue reading
An anonymous tipster tells me that Fresh & Easy has posted for a 20 license ( off-sale beer and wine ) at 5955 Calle Real in Goleta.
I called Santa Barbara Motorsports at 5955 Calle Real in Goleta, the former home of the Good Earth Restaurant, and was told that they are planning to move to a new location next year. I was also told that the Fresh … Continue reading
I recently reported that a new sign appeared at 330 State Street indicating that the name of the restaurant currently under construction at that address will be “El Rio.” The White family, who owns this Mexican restaurant in addition to … Continue reading
Le Crepe Shoppe opened last Saturday at 15 W. Guiterrez St next to Santa Barbara Roasting Company and Chocolate Maya. Owner Jill Barton tells me that they served 60-80 crepes on their first day. They offer crepes with two different batters: sweet … Continue reading
Today I added Le Crepe Shoppe to the restaurant guide and added photos to the page for Alchemy Arts Cafe.
This just in from Mac’s Fish & Chip Shop at 503 State St: Hi Mr D, Will and Kate aren’t going to be happy but the wife and I have decided to decline their kind invitation to speak/sing* at their wedding … Continue reading
Though it has nothing to do with restaurants, you might consider today’s column “food for thought.” I wanted to share with you an amazing story I heard recently. Many years ago, a friend of mine, Haig Fisher who lives in … Continue reading
Reader Steve tells me that Le Crepe Shoppe down by Santa Barbara Roasting Company (and next door to Chocolate Maya at 15 W. Gutierrez St) has a sign in the window: “Opening Saturday April 23.” I first reported about the pending … Continue reading
I received this press-release today from Pacifica Commercial Realty indicating that the sale of State & A Bar and Grill has officially been completed. The restaurant, which had been open for 28 years, closed last week. The Santa Barbara landmark restaurant … Continue reading
This just in from Root 246 at 420 Alisal Rd in Solvang: Celebrate Easter with Brunch Prepared by Chef Bradley Ogden Solvang, April, 2011 – Reservations are still available at Root 246 for the region’s finest Easter brunch this Sunday, April 24, … Continue reading
This just in from the Canary Hotel at 31 W. Carrillo St: Canary Hotel Celebrates Easter With Brunch on the Rooftop Santa Barbara CA. April 2011 – This Easter, Sunday, April 24th, Canary Hotel is celebrating with an indulgent brunch … Continue reading
This just in from Blush Restaurant and Lounge at 630 State St: Hi John, We wanted to let you know that we are having a special Easter Brunch on our patio this Sunday… Come join us for Easter Brunch on … Continue reading
This just in from Seagrass at 30 E. Ortega St: Hello John, Ruben here from Seagrass restaurant. Just wanted to inform you and your readers about our Sunday thru Thursday market menu special. We are offering a 3 course menu, app, … Continue reading
[Editors note: I posted a column earlier today on the subject of tipping. I wrote it in a rush, without giving it as much thought or care as I usually do. Consequently the wording came out much differently than I intended, so I … Continue reading
The Goodland Market and Kitchen at 231 So Magnolia Ave in Old Town Goleta has opened. Hours are Mon-Fri 7am – 2:30 pm. For more information visit goodlandkitchen.com.
A new mobile gourmet food service named “O Street Truck,” specializing in Mediterranean, French-Mex and French Vietnamese fare, has started service on the South Coast. This week’s schedule is below. For more information visit ostreettruck.com. Tuesday @ Mentor, 5425 Hollister … Continue reading
Today I added photos to the guide for Robitaille’s, Pee Bee & Jay’s, Crushcakes & Cafe – Carpinteria (all in Carpinteria) and Wayne Kjar Cakes (on the Mesa).
April 15, 2011 – Here are pictures from the Santa Barbara Daily Sound’s 5th anniversary party last Friday night at the new Butler Events Center (formerly Downtown Brewing Co). I started writing a restaurant news column for the Daily Sound … Continue reading
After 5 months in business cupcake specialist Whodidily World at 811 State Street in Paseo Nuevo abruptly closed earlier this month then reopened under new ownership as Whodelicious. I called Whodidily – Montecito, which is still open for business as usual, and … Continue reading