TACO PER OUNCE

If this is not the first time you have read this column then you know I like tacos. On a typical day I will have two tacos for lunch. Over time I found that local-only restaurant tacos (without rice & beans) cost around $5 – $8 for a pair of average-sized tacos, not including taxes. When the price drops below $5 for two, tacos at local-only restaurants typically start getting much smaller. So even though the taco costs less, it also weighs less, meaning the price-per-ounce tends to be the same as more expensive places.

The other day I stumbled across a local-only restaurant that seems to have an extraordinary price-per-ounce ratio. Jerry’s Pollofino next to Kmart in Goleta sells a huge taco for $3.70. It easily weighs twice as much as an average-sized taco, perhaps more. It comes with two soft corn tortillas and even includes guacamole which typically costs extra at other restaurants. $3.70 for the equivalent of a two-taco lunch is an amazing deal for a local-only restaurant.

11 Responses to TACO PER OUNCE

1. SL says:

The most important detail was left out; How did it taste?!

2. Dianne says:

They are really good. Recommend to those who have not tried.

3. SN says:

And their burritos are outstanding.

4. Chris C says:

And his chicken is good, too.

5. I love this place, glad to hear this. I’ve not had their tacos but I’ve been eating their burritos and fajitas for over 15 years now. It is definitely the highest satisfaction for the price almost anywhere so I am glad to hear you point them out. I’ll try the tacos soon!

6. Rob Egenolf says:

Jerry has had the best chicken in town since the old days when he was at the corner of Fairview and Calle Real.

A Goleta institution, plus they are always in the local 2 for 1 coupon book so no brainer not to go there if got the book. It has one of those unlimited soda fountains I enjoy plus can you say Orange Bang? Only negative experiences I’ve had there are bones with the meat and seems like they assume you can handle the peppers they throw in there if you don’t say anything. They must be doing something right if been around for so long.

8. Abby says:

Have you tried the street tacos at Whole Foods yet? They are only $1 on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and they come with guacamole for free!

9. Jesse says:

I stopped eating at Pollofino when I realized that just about every time I went there I was overcharged for sales tax and/or given back less change than I deserved. Although price wise it was not enough to do anything about, it made me think do I really want to eat food prepared by a restaurant that might incorporate unscrupulous (at worst) or less than comptent (at best) business practices. It’s one thing if it happens once, it’s quite another if it happens multiple times.

10. VT says:

I’ll stick with Lilly’s on Chapala. THE best value and taste. Try the Cabeza..