NASA’s Messenger spacecraft will make history tonight when it becomes the first probe to orbit the planet Mercury. Since it launched in August 2004, the orbiter has made nearly 15 laps around the sun, flying by Earth, Venus and Mercury to slingshot itself into just the right position for orbital entry. Starting at 6pm tonight the Messenger spacecraft will fire its main thruster for about 15 minutes in what scientists call an “orbital insertion burn.” If all goes well, the maneuver should slow the probe down enough for it to be caught by Mercury’s gravity and enter orbit. In the mid-1970′s NASA flew spacecraft quickly past Mercury which gave us just a peek at what the planet nearest to the sun looks like. Because Messenger is orbiting the planet it will be able to hang around for months if not years and take thousands of pictures and measurements.
- Blush - Seasonal Californian cuisine and profound signature cocktails in a modern setting. Available for private parties.
- Bistro Eleven Eleven - A stylish restaurant located in the Hotel Mar Monte that serves contemporary American cuisine with California flair.
- Ca' Dario is a local favorite Italian restaurant that wins "Best Of" awards year after year.
- Coast Restaurant & Bar - Savory, accessible comfort food reflecting Santa Barbara's seaside access.
- Eladio's - Offering California Casual Comfort food for lunch and dinner with a panoramic view of the waterfront.
- EOS Lounge - A contemporary cocktail lounge and nightclub with an exotic atmosphere.
- Omni Catering is a unique, full-service catering and event production company that specializes in custom event creation.
- Pizza Guru - Traditional and eccentric gourmet pizzas, salads, panini & pastas. Local sources, organic goodness.
- Pizza Mizza - Much More than Great Pizza...we offer Santa Barbara's Best Gourmet Pizzas
- Pure Joy Catering offers the entire package in full service special event and wedding catering.
- Silvergreens - Making our food as healthy as possible without compromising taste. Eat Smart...Live Well.
- Sly's Steaks, Seafood & Cocktails has earned a reputation for high quality foods with a vintage flair using the best of local and in-season ingredients.
- The Palace Grill - Features authentic Louisiana specialties such as Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffée and more.
- The Marquee - Classic elegance located in the newly restored Granada Theatre
- The Savoy - A hybrid restaurant/lounge/concert hall and nightclub at 409 State Street
- Whole Foods Market - The premier location for organic produce and meats, local wines, specialty cheeses and more.