MAGGIE’S AT STATE & A

Blogger Craig Smith is reporting in his blog CraigSmithsBlog.com that State & A Bar and Grill at 1201 State St. has been sold and is getting a new name: “Maggie’s at State & A.”

Smith says “Rumored for some time now to have been on the market, a Notice of Application for Ownership Change is posted in the window of the restaurant which is located on the corner of State Street and Anapamu, showing the names of the new owners, Barry and Margaret Shulman, and that the name of the restaurant will be changed to Maggie’s at State and A.”

Apparently employees were reportedly informed of the sale at a recent staff meeting. Smith reports that they were assured that their jobs were safe and that the transfer of ownership would be completed by April 1.

17 Responses to MAGGIE’S AT STATE & A

1. Dianne says:

At least they will have plenty of avocados. They have a ranch in north Goleta.

2. David says:

April 1st? Yeah good luck with keeping that job employees.

• star says:

i’ve worked for the shulman’s in the past i found them to be the most generous understanding employer’s i’ve ever had you should be so fortunate to work with maggie and barry

3. Linda Tacconelli says:

Maggie’s Restaurant is the most beautiful restaurant in Santa Barbara if not the world. The owners are hands on and exceedingly delightful. The wait staff is top notch. A thoroughly wonderful dining experience for all. I would highly recommend Maggie’s.

4. Joe says:

Wow. Lots of mean spirited people out there. Didn’t your mama tell you “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all”? I’ve been to Maggie’s during Fiesta and one other time. Have any of you been there? It was pretty nice and yes, food included.

• Glenn says:

I think there is a wide gap between “pretty nice” and “the most beautiful restaurant in the world” last time I checked… I remember the “don’t lie” part too while growing up also…

5. Charlotte says:

How is voicing your opinion mean spirited? You must admit, ” the most beautiful restaurant in the world!” is a stretch. It resembles the one of many Orange County beautiful restaurants with beautiful people…sigh…so how is the food really? Pedestrian, in my very own opinion.

6. Michelle says:

I would love to try it out, but the restaurant does not have a website and I can’t find a phone number for them. Are they only open for dinner or lunch? Would love to see something online!

7. Nicole says:

The owners seem very nice. If you are looking for an intimate or private conversation don’t go there. The owner hangs out and talks a lot. He thinks they will be attracting the Lucky’s crowd but downtown. WoW, they should have hired a professional restaurant designer if that is what they are after. The decor is strictly old school, it may have cost a lot, but it is creepy–like green leatherette with studs, and cheesy paintings. Oh well, no accounting for taste. The drinks are very pricy, the decor is sort of grandma, and they are planning on having an expensive menu. Good luck I think time will tell. I wouldn’t go back for drinks, even though the outdoor patio has great views of State St.

• Bob says:

I’m not sure if an outdoor patio with great views of State Street is a selling point anymore. We spent some time walking around State St. over the weekend and it was like zombie-land. Seriously depressing.

8. Gina says:

I bartend downtown… The shulmans ate at my bar many times…. They always appeared distant snd stressed… Never a smile or aknowledgement of contentment yet they returned often…. Hmm… I was very surprised to hear these are the new faces of “Maggies”. Hopefully they can pull this off with great food…

9. Richard Powers says:

Your receipe in News Press for Quiche Lorraine calls for 3/4 cup of coarse salt. Is that correct?

10. Diana Ulucan says:

I went to this resturaunt June 26 Memorial Werkend
    I was impressed with the beauty of this place
    The Italian waiter was very very nice
    But our lunch was ruined by the owner of the resturaunt who treated us like dirt
    The food was ok’d as not impressed with the food at all
    But the way my friend was treated by the owner was unacceptable
    My friend is black and she treated her like dirt to the point we felt racism was going
    On here. I really feel the owner is a racist and didn’t want my BACK friend
    In her resturaunt . We felt so uncomfortable that we had to leave
    I do not reccomend this resturaunt to anyone especially if you are black
    I rate this resturaunt a ZERO
    Do not eat at this place racism is a thing of the past but not at this place